LED tube lights

Five Wood

I recently purchased these LED tube lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Stars-T5128301-02-Replacement-Natural/dp/B00BTMGSNQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475351947&sr=8-2&keywords=gold+star+led+tube+lights

The instructions say to rewire directly to the wires coming into the existing fixture. I didn't understand why you would have to rewire the fixture, so I didn't and just installed the LED tubes. And they work just fine. What am I not understanding?

Thanks

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

The instructions say to rewire directly to the wires coming into the existing fixture. I didn't understand why you would have to rewire the fixture, so I didn't and just installed the LED tubes. And they work just fine. What am I not understanding?

Standard fluorescent light fixtures utilize a ballast. LED's don't need a ballast, so the typical installation involves bypassing the ballast and wiring the LED lamps directly to the 12V power leads. On mine I went ahead and removed the ballast as well to clean things up, but leaving it in the fixture doesn't hurt anything.

Are you saying that you just inserted the replacement LED "tube" into the fixture and that the power to the tube is still coming from the ballast? Everything that I've ever read says to take the ballast out of the circuit when using LED lights, but I honestly have no idea what the impact of a ballast would be if left in.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Standard fluorescent light fixtures utilize a ballast. LED's don't need a ballast, so the typical installation involves bypassing the ballast and wiring the LED lamps directly to the 12V power leads. On mine I went ahead and removed the ballast as well to clean things up, but leaving it in the fixture doesn't hurt anything.

Are you saying that you just inserted the replacement LED "tube" into the fixture and that the power to the tube is still coming from the ballast? Everything that I've ever read says to take the ballast out of the circuit when using LED lights, but I honestly have no idea what the impact of a ballast would be if left in.

Darryl and Mark

Thanks for responding. Yes, I just installed the tubes directly in the fixture. After thinking about it though I realized that the ballast would still be energized, which would sort of defeat the purpose of getting the LED's in the first place. So I just snipped out all the wires on the ballast and wired it as the directions said. I guess the directions were there for a reason.

The price of these was quite reasonable and I like the way they work. So I will order more and change out all the fixtures.

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

After thinking about it though I realized that the ballast would still be energized, which would sort of defeat the purpose of getting the LED's in the first place.

Exactly. Good move. A ballast can also "force-feed" your LED's and cause premature failure.

FWIW, those LED tubes cost ~2x the price of just replacing the fluorescent tubes with LED strips. I used the tubes to convert my first fixture, but have used LED strips for all the rest. Neither is there any need to pay someone to package a light "kit". I've been buying half meter LED strips with connecting wires from https://www.superbrightleds.com/ for ~$12-13 each making the total cost of converting a fixture ~$25. Here are the strips I've been buying: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/top-emitting/led-light-strips-led-tape-light-with-18-smdsft-3-chip-smd-led-5050-with-lc2-connector/1465/4341/

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

My problem with the strips has been soldering wire to them without burning off the little coppe dots. Haven't had much luck with the connectors either. But, I have found a good way to do the strips, wrap them around something. I use PVC pipe of various sizes with wrap spacing providing different light output.

I think 3/4" is good for fluorescents.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

I bought 12 volt led lights from Walmart for cheap and wired them into the fixture eliminating the ballast.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived