Saved By PT50C - Proof

edatlanta

We have had several days of thunderstorms in this area in the past couple of weeks including a tropical storm and during one of them lightning struck a pine tree that was close to a large fresh water line feeding the campground where I am hosting. Per the attached picture the water line lost. The park was without fresh water and the bathhouses were all closed for 2 days. I always fill my freshwater tank when I arrive for cases like this so I was ok. Others in the park weren't so lucky and weren't happy.

I don't know if it was related to this particular lightning strike or not, but we had one entire row of sites where the 50 amp service lost a leg. I'm not on this particular circuit, but close and I lost a leg at the same time. It turned out my PT50C was reading voltage incoming on both legs, but was not passing voltage to my rig on one of them. It seems it protected me from something and died in the process. So I pulled my spare PT50C out of it's box and put it in service (I absolutely will not plug in anywhere without my PT50C). All is well now with both legs being powered normally and the original PT50C is headed back to PI for warranty service. It had been in full time service since April 2012 so thank goodness for this product and it's lifetime warranty. I had zero damage to my rig.

Update 9-13-2016:

I spoke with PI yesterday and my returned PT50C definitely took a hit on one leg and it was bad enough it couldn't be repaired. So they shipped me a brand new one scheduled to arrive 9-14-2016.

I will put it in service for a week or so to make sure it is working normally then put it back in it's box as my new spare. Then my old spare which is working normally right now will become my new everyday unit. Yes I do have 2 PT50C's, one for everyday use and one as a spare.

As I have stated many times "I absolutely will not plug in anywhere without my PT50C".

post-11919-0-31039000-1473853755_thumb.jpg

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

The Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C is a portable EMS RV surge protector. Progressive Industries and Surge Guard by TRCI both make similar products. I personally recommend them to all of my RV'ing friends. I have a hardwired Surge Guard in my current 5er and will have another in my new 5er. I also would not be without one. It has saved me a couple of times and is a good insurance policy against loosing your electronics in your coach due to faulty power from a park.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Would you please tell the rest of us what a PT50c is. Would assume a surge protector? Some us are new to this

If you follow the above link you will see that an EMS (electrical management system) is much more than just a surge protector. It will protect your power systems from a myriad of potentially damaging electrical issues.

I also feel a good EMS should be standard equipment whenever plugging in to any shore power source and prefer the Progressive Industries units.

Archived