Rio Olympics- Dish Network

Don might be in one of the markets where Tribune pulled their local station signals off Dish in a contract dispute. As usual, the station owners are holding the viewers hostage to pressure Dish to settle.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Will any of the other channels, besides NBC, show the Opening Ceremonies? It's not a problem for us, since we still have NBC on Dish.

ON EDIT: I'm in the process of checking whether or not any of the other channels carrying the Olympics will show the Opening Ceremonies. In doing so, I came across Channel 207 which shows all the Dish channels that will carry the Olympics: 159 (NBCSP), 208 (CNBC), 838 (UNVSO...Spanish), 401 (GOLF), 105 (USA), 209 (MSNBC), 129 (BRAVO), 97 (OLMPB), 98 (OLMPS), and, of course, your local NBC and TELEMUNDO channels. Additionally, you can stream on NBC Sports, or go to NBCOlympics.com. There's also a note at the bottom that says HOPPER customers can tune to channel 148 for live coverage of the Olympics.

In the past, channels that carried the Olympics, other than NBC (and maybe Telemundo?), only carried certain games, such as soccer, but not all the games.

ON SECOND EDIT: None of the other channels, other than your local NBC will be carrying the Opening Ceremonies. In fact, none of the other channels have any Olympic coverage today except for 98 which is showing replays of yesterday's men's soccer games.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Yes, I am in an area of dispute between DISH and NBC. None of the alternate channels mentioned will carry the opening ceremonies, and not so sure what venues they will later carry. I have found that here at Hart Ranch, SD the cable connection has NBC, and so I will be okay. DISH has thoughtfully arranged for you to subscribe to the RIO channel for additional fees though. No thanks, I pay enough already.

Gary & Eloise too

'05 Allegro Bus, 40TSP

'15 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk

SKP#25612 Life Member Full-time since 1991

Yes, I am in an area of dispute between DISH and NBC. None of the alternate channels mentioned will carry the opening ceremonies, and not so sure what venues they will later carry. I have found that here at Hart Ranch, SD the cable connection has NBC, and so I will be okay. DISH has thoughtfully arranged for you to subscribe to the RIO channel for additional fees though. No thanks, I pay enough already.

Dish has supplied thousands of free OTA antennas to subscribers in the affected areas so they can continue to receive the affected stations where possible. Tribune refused a contract extension with a "make up" clause that would have paid them the difference retroactively when the new contract rates were settled. What does that tell you about how much they care about their viewers?

Dutch

One thought that won't help with the in progress opening ceremony, but may help with future issues. When I run into local blackouts, whether due to a contract dispute or sports league imposed, I check the surrounding markets to see if they'll be receiving the desired channel(s). If they are going to receive it, and in the case of locals, that the related spot beam foot print will reach my current location, I simply look up an RV park or other address in that area and have Dish Customer Service "move" our service location there. Dish has no way of knowing where you actually are, and likely has no reason to care as long as the bill gets paid. When in transit doing a number of overnight stops for instance, we sometimes go two or three moves before leaving a spot beam and bothering to update our service location. The SatelliteGuys website has listings of the Dish Network Markets where you select the state and market city, and then you can click on the spot beam listed for a given channel and arc to see a satellite view of the spot beam coverage area.

Dutch

Dutch

Thanks for the link. Only problem is they show Fox6 Milwaukee as "available" when in fact it is presently one of the "dispute" stations.

Anyone know how you would know if you could tell for sure where you could pick up an "undisputed" Fox station in Wisconsin. With all the issues I've had with my DISH set up, I don't want to make a change if it won't help the situation.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Yes, the list does not adapt for temporary outages such as contract disputes, so you have figure that out locally. The Green Bay, WI locals use spot beams on both arcs that cover the entire state. The Fox station there, WLUK, is not owned by Tribune, nor are any other Green Bay stations.

There's a list of the Tribune owned stations here: Tribune Media | Our Brands

Dutch

Archived