Thailand Veterans (copied from another forum)

Ray,IN

I just had my DAV magazine delivered with todays mail. I was reading it and when I got to page # 35 I read the article on the bottom titled DAV forces rollback of Thailand rule change. The article was written by Chris Clay, DAV General Counsel.

( The article )

Since 2010, the Va has recognized the challenges veterans have faced in proving that certain disabilities result from herbicide ( Agent Orange ) exposure during the Vietnam era. To assist these veterans, the VA created special rules and presumptions for Agent Orange claims. Veterans exposed at certain bases in Thailand have benefited from these rules.
Last year, without warning or explanation, VA effectively eliminated this assistance for countless veterans who may have been exposed to Agent Orange in Thailand. It did so by inserting a change into its Adjudication Manual, a lesser-known publication that is not monitored as carefully as statutes and regulations.
DAV was not asleep at the switch. With outstanding assistance from attorney Zach Stolz, of Rhode Island-based Chisholm Chisholm & Kilpatrick LTD, DAV quickly filed a complaint in federal court in Washington, D.C. The law requires that veterans get notice of significant changes to regulations. That's just common sense. This was big change, potentially affecting many thousands of veterans, and it took place with no fanfare and no opportunity for objection.
To its credit, the VA responded quickly with an offer to restore the status quo. the affected Thailand veterans once again will enjoy the advantages of un easier path in proving their claims. "DAV is there to help veterans, one by one or by the thousands," said National Adjutant Marc Burgess. "It doesn't matter who, what, where or when. Disabled veterans and their families are our only priority." Dad is grateful to Stolz for his fine work and to the VA for recognizing an error and setting things right. That is the way the "System" is supposed to work.

This was printed in the July / August DAV Magazine

So there seems to have been a number of denied and or unapproved claims. It also seems that claims that might have or were submitted at that time were denied due to the inserting a change in the Adjudication Manual.
If you did submit a claim I would suggest to you to gather your paperwork and a letter of denial of your claim and submit a NOD or refile but before you do seek assistance from one of the service ordinations who are out there to assist you on this matter. Also I would suggest that you download a copy of a de-certified document titled " CHECO REPORT " which has a bunch of info in it to assist you in submit evidence that AO was used and sprayed in Thailand as well as stored there and flown out of Thailand tone used in Vietnam in Operation Ranch Hand and other operations. This CHECO REPORT helps you put the pieces together. Be aware that the AO benefits might still fall on what job you did in Thailand. Military Working Dog Handlers were one of the first to get the AO benefits as well as some Security Police Sections. Now the folks who worked on the 123 and those who flew them on spraying missions might be considered for benefits. I hope this helps you folks out.
Welcome home my Thailand brothers and sisters!
s
K9Piper

source: irv2.com veterans fourm

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived