Stranded Ocala Tire blowout

jimnina

We just started our summer trip and made it about 100 miles before we had a blow out.

No one seems to have the size Michelin tire in atock.

Any ideas. The tire is the inner rear on a 39' DP. Can I safety drive it until we find a tire. We are headed to Jacksonville on 326.

event.png

Hard to say but keep in mind that it puts all of the weight of two tires on the remaining one and if it should blow...................

I sure would not want to travel very far that way. If you have road service they might be able to help locating one.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would not try to go much farther than it takes to get off the road. You really need to replace both tires of that pair. This website explains why: "...the remaining dual had been operated at 100% overload. The general guideline would be that you need to consider the remaining tire to have had its structure damaged and it should be replaced. There are many documented cases where only one tire was replaced and the damaged tire fails a few miles to a few weeks later..."

I would be more interested in finding two tires of the proper size (width & diameter) and load rating from a manufacturer with a decent reputation than matching the particular manufacturer of the remaining tire of the pair.

We just started our summer trip and made it about 100 miles before we had a blow out.

No one seems to have the size Michelin tire in atock.

Any ideas. The tire is the inner rear on a 39' DP. Can I safety drive it until we find a tire. We are headed to Jacksonville on 326.

I would add my agreement to these replies. Your between a rock and a hard place, I would find a place to stay and have two tires shipped to a repair shop and wait. Makes for a bummer vacation start but your wallet can with stand the delay more than the damage you will do to your Motorhome suspension, axles and frame. Not to mention if you loose the other tire the wrecker cost will be hefty and the accident you may be the source of would not be good.

Be smart and be patience.

Your exact problem is the reason I recently purchased a good used spare tire (un-mounted) since our

upcoming vacation is 5 to 6 weeks and will take us into British Columbia.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

Any ERS should be able to get you a right size tire. You do have RV ERS don't you?

It is now over a day later. How did you fix the problem?

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Sorry for the delay in responding. I did finally find a very, very used tire that got us to Jacksonville. It was definitely white knuckle low speed 63 miles.

The tires that are on the coach are on back-order so instead of being able to replace all 6 I was only able to replace the one real bad one. I'm checking locations now to hopefully find a tire center that has 5 tires.

Not the best plan but a plan. The folks at TCI #460 are on their game. The new tire was installed at the campground where we are staying in less than 2 hours from initial phone call.

event.png

Sorry Biker56 and Phil Saran for not replying. I hit post before I meant to.

I do have Triple AAA that has worked for the last 6-7 years for us. I think the main problem is that the tires I'm looking for are on back-order.

I'm not sure where I could store an un-mounted spare, built would have been a good to have . :D

We will be going Full-Time in about 2yrs and 5 months, but whose counting. I probably will need to look for a better ERS, since AAA isn't a good national plan.

event.png

Archived