Hot Skin condition

RBH

Since reading Mike Sokol's No Shock Zone articles I have been checking for a hot skin every time I hook up to a new power post. Over the last few years I have found four instances of a hot skin. It happened again today when I hooked up at a campground in Mt Vernon Wa. Since we have solar I have always disconnected and run off the batteries. Today I drove a metal stake into the ground and checked the voltage potential and found about a half a volt. My question is, is this enough to worry about and could it get worse i.e. more dangerous? Can any hot skin condition be disregarded? I checked the neighbor's RV and found the same condition. He just laughed and ignored it. Am I being overly concerned?

Half volt I wouldn't get real concerned, but you need to find out what is causing the problem. Have you unhooked the power cord (if you can) and checked the from the ground prong to the earth? If you get something there then it is in the pedestal or beyond. If nothing at the cord then you need to find the problem in your trailer. Since it has only been four times I suspect the problem is in the supply to the pedestal. Give it a bit and I'm sure some of the others that are smarter than me will chime in.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I don't think there is a problem. The ground connection at each pedestal isn't necessarily connected directly to ground at each pedestal. There can easily be a few volts difference from a feed point ground to any one pedestal. From my work experience, I'd call that normal.

Russ

Thanks for the responses so far. Since we're only staying another day and we can easily work off the solar and batteries I'll stay disconnected. I would like to see a little more discussion about this situation so I felt better about hooking up if/when I run into this in the future.

At a half volt, you will never know it exists and there are many things which could cause this. . The National Electrical Code allows up to 2 volts on the ground, so 1volt or less is safe.

Check this out: RV Electrical Safety - Hot Skin

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk, that's good to know. I guess my biggest concern was that there was a problem that could suddenly get worse. Since 99% of the time I get no indication at all with my non- contact voltage tester it's worrying when it alarms.

Archived