One Extendable Will Not Extend

One of my extendables does not work. The motor runs and the other extendable works fine. It seems like it has slipped off it's gear or something. Any help troubleshooting and fixing? Had a pretty good trip from Clarksville TN to Kearney NE other than that. The RV Park here is great! Nice lake, free fishing!!.

The first thing that I'd check is for a shearpin as most motor driven slides have one. If you can see the drive systen, just follow it to the point that movement stops and you will find it.

Is your slide one that uses a rack and pinion type drive?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Turns out that the gears are bad inside. Will need to change out the entire leg. I have a guy trying to locate one for me. However, Coachmen is being very slow to respond. Until I get this fixed, how can I brace up my 5th wheel for camping? Right now I have a floor jack under the leg. I guess that is about as good as anything. Is there a better way?

For your front landing legs on a fifth wheel you should be able to use a hydraulic jack under it, but be sure that operating the one that is working don't do further damage to the system. I would jack it up and then put blocks under it for safety in case the jack should collapse. If you are referring to leveling system legs, that should still work.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If the front legs are like mine you can just replace the gears it's very simple to do, but that cross shaft that goes from one gear box to the other side also has shear bolts in it at each end.What caused it for me was when I raised the gear up I didnt stop soon enough which bottomed out my gears and something had to give.

Its a ring and pinion setup with a thrust washer right above the gear and a pin that goes through the shaft to hold the gear in place. but what happens is if things get in a bind the gear pushes that thrust washer right into that pin So once you get that leg out take the top end apart and I think all you will need is to replace that thrust washer and the bent pin. AND use a vise grip or equivalent and turn that shaft in the right direction to screw it back out a ways. Also mark your landing gear so you can stop raising it before it bottoms out.

When you install the leg stick a phillips screwdriver in the hole and crank it down level with the other jack and then install crossover shaft

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Archived