WeBoost oscillation warning?...

I have a WeBoost 4G-M which has been installed for a few months (and worked perfectly) - but now I notice every once and a while the 1700/2000 MHz oscillation warning light turns red?... I have both ATT (iPhone) & Verizon (mifi) systems and they both are both boosted 20-30 decibels (even with the red light warning). So my two questions are: Is the 1700/2000 frequency used by ATT or Verizon for LTE?... And how can I shield the antenna better - rewiring the unit to be further apart would be a huge pain! frown emoticon... Right now I only have a small 4x4" metal plate as a base on the roof... Maybe a larger plate to act as a larger shield?....

I've always been a tinkerer and a fixer...

So what better way to stay active in my retirement than to buy an RV...

Greetings.. I noticed you asked this question in our Internet for RVers Facebook group too, so I thought I'd copy over the reply we gave you there (in case others were curious):

For question one.. the bands covered in that frequency range include (found in the 'Understanding Cellular Frequencies' chapter in The Mobile Internet Handbook, starting on page 73 for reference):

1710MHz - 1880MHz: Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile - LTE Band 4 (upload)
1850MHz - 1990MHz: Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile - LTE Band 2. Sprint LTE Band 25.
2110MHz - 2170MHz: Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile - LTE Band 4 (download)

For question #2.. we usually recommend a minimum 8x8" ground plane for optimal signal collection (our article on Ground Planes). The more separation you can get between the interior/exterior antenna the better. If you can't achieve that, then yes - additional shielding can help (beyond the minimum ground plane size).

However, if you're getting oscillation, that can be a sign that you have a strong signal to begin with in those bands, and the booster might not be needed at all.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

However, if you're getting oscillation, that can be a sign that you have a strong signal to begin with in those bands, and the booster might not be needed at all.

I occasionally have issues with oscillation in the Band 5 (850 Mhz) and Band 12/13 (700 MHz) ranges - which I simply haven't been able to eliminate completely. What's the impact of leaving the booster powered on with the oscillation present? Does it affect communications in the bands where no oscillation is being reported? Does it increase risk of damage to the signal booster or the radios using it? Are there any downsides to it's presence - other than the obvious fact that I'm not getting optimum performance in the affected bands?

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

If the amplifier fully complies with the new FCC rules, as I understand it, any oscillation on any band should shut down the entire unit for all bands.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

If the amplifier fully complies with the new FCC rules, as I understand it, any oscillation on any band should shut down the entire unit for all bands.

Correct.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

^^^ I don't think it shuts down the whole unit... As I can see on my iPhone that the decibel level drops by 20+ decibels when I place the phone and antenna together.... I have only one of the 4 lights (1700/200) red... the others are green...

I've always been a tinkerer and a fixer...

So what better way to stay active in my retirement than to buy an RV...

Gord has told us that there are such regulations, and his and new boosters coming out will need to meet those rules.

However, all multi-band mobile boosters with the 2014 FCC approval currently on the market, which includes the weBoost & SignalRF models we've tested in a variety of conditions - currently operate each band independently. MaxAmp is the only one we know of that shuts down the entire unit if only one band is in an unrecoverable oscillation. Whether the other models will need to soon comply or not, is not clear to us.

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Gord has told us that there are such regulations, and his and new boosters coming out will need to meet those rules.

However, all multi-band mobile boosters with the 2014 FCC approval currently on the market, which includes the weBoost & SignalRF models we've tested in a variety of conditions - currently operate each band independently. MaxAmp is the only one we know of that shuts down the entire unit if only one band is in an unrecoverable oscillation. Whether the other models will need to soon comply or not, is not clear to us.

That is because they did not meet the new rules . Told the FCC it could not be done . They only were PBA's ( Permit But Ask ) . That could be overturned at any time . The FCC moves slow . But they are moving . Already revoked one sure call license. I am being patient . The Karma Bus is coming . Carriers are calling the shots now. They will have the FCC imposing their will . But I know you don't believe . Me and quite Frankly I don't care.

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

Archived