Suggestions on what to do with RV when out of country

jmiyake

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Some resorts and campgrounds will offer a discounted rate to store the unit on one of their camp spaces as long as it's not hooked up. Check around.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

We like getting a monthly RV space with hook ups. We then leave the minimum of powered things on, without any other hook ups. We arrive a week or so before leaving, meet the neighbors, and pick out a couple to share that we are going to be away for a short trip. Then they can look after your RV. I have met a number of neighbors, and share where there is a spare key, in case the coach needs to be gotten into or in one place moved if the river were to flood.

In the last year, we did this 4 times we traveled home for Drs. and we did not worry about the coach.

Dave and Dolly Cobb
Arlington TX

1998 Foretravel, U-295 36', rare mid-door
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, as a toad

We usually take a 1 week cruise yearly, after all we still need a vacation from full timing. :) Our normal routine is to find a campground within 100 miles of the departing port and then sign up for a 2 week stay. This allows us a couple of days on each end to experience the area. We even have a cat that we set out extra food and litter boxes for and leave the camper fully set up and powered, we do shut off the water. So far this has worked good for us.

Greg

If you are willing to clean out your refrigerator, another option is to just use onsite economy airport parking. I don't know about Miami, but I have left my motorhome with a refrigerator full of food but with lots of propane and fully charged batteries for five to six days at Tampa Airport, Salt Lake City airport, and Las Vegas Airport in the economy lot. For two weeks, your batteries might go dead and not provide the small amount of power the refrigerator requires when running on propane.

Tampa has a great outside lot where you can put an RV for $9 per day. It is paved, lighted, and very secure.

Archived