Wordprocessing on the road...

My wife and I are full-timers and until recently we had been sharing a wireless bluetooth printer. It worked great. Now it need to be replaced and it seems that all the new printers are used exclusively with an internet connection. We have lots of internet choices, but often don't want to use our data when just word processing and printing. Also, of course, there are times when we have no internet service. What do you suggest? Are there still any bluetooth printers "out there?"

I don't think I've ever seen a printer that requires an internet connection, except for perhaps firmware updates? There are some that work over a local WiFi network (which is not the same as having an internet connection - it's just networking between your local devices, kinda like bluetooth). Basically you can send documents from your computers/tablets to the printer wirelessly. There's no internet data used in that case, but you would need a router that creates a WiFi network between your devices.

Of course, if you're using a cloud sync'd or web hosted word processing solution (like Google Drive, etc.) - that would use data.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

There are some that work over a local WiFi network (which is not the same as having an internet connection - it's just networking between your local devices, kinda like bluetooth). Basically you can send documents from your computers/tablets to the printer wirelessly. There's no internet data used in that case, but you would need a router that creates a WiFi network between your devices.

This is exactly what we do with our Verizon Jetpack. Brother wireless laser and all four of our computers. Originally, I was worried about data usage, but Cherie is correct. No date usage between devices. When we were in West Texas and had no Verizon service, we suspended our account for the duration. We continued to use our Jetpack for printing. Worked great.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

I have an HP printer that uses it's own wifi to connect to the computer and phone. No router necessary. Does not use the Internet. It is a cheap printer so it is slow. It also scans and sends to the computer without Internet or a router.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I have an HP printer that uses it's own wifi to connect to the computer and phone. No router necessary. Does not use the Internet. It is a cheap printer so it is slow. It also scans and sends to the computer without Internet or a router.

I have the same thing (I think) el-cheapo HP wireless (wifi) printer / flatbed scanner / etc that I bought at Wal-Mart a year or two ago for $50-60. When it stops working I'll throw it in the nearest dumpster and buy another.

fuso.jpg.b3c0d8d35ed0a147efc1900170d393e5.jpg

We are using a HP 4500 that prints Wi-Fi direct no router needed or you can use a router if you want.

Dennt

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Archived