Water heater fixed!

For those of you who wanted to know what the solution turned out to be, at the risk of jinxing myself, here it is.

Based on what Kodiak said about the relief valve, I figured that was a simple place to start. While it was not dripping, perhaps it was able to draw air in through the cooling process as he suggested.

I turned the water heater off overnight, so it could cool, then in the morning gently bled the relief valve a little, a couple of times. Only water came out; no air. Don't know if that is good or bad.

Since I did that, I no longer have the problem. Have been through several heat and cool cycles,(as well as off at night, on during day) and a few showers. The temp is consistent as well, very close to the mfg preset of 130deg.

Thinking maybe the valve was just a little gunked up somehow, and opening it a bit a couple times broke it loose? The water where I am currently is very hard water, in spite of the filter.

Going to go ahead and leave it on, and see if it remains cured.

Hopefully this is the end of the mystery.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Ya just can't RV without a hitch.....!

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Keep us posted if anything changes. Some mysteries are never completely solved. When I was in service work I hated it when I'd work on a machine and the problem suddenly went away with me having no idea what I might have done to correct it. In our service group we always called that sort of thing voodoo!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thinking maybe the valve was just a little gunked up somehow, and opening it a bit a couple times broke it loose? The water where I am currently is very hard water, in spite of the filter.

Actually I don't think a water filter will help with hard water. Maybe you should invest in a water softener? I use one 100% of the time regardless of where we are to protect our fixtures and we get better showers as a bonus.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

A water filter -- filters. A water softener --- softens (actually removes CaCO3) We use ours 100% of the time also.

Our 'string" is a pressure regulator (whole house size), 10 micron loose pack carbon filter, 1 micron filter, carbon block, water softener, trailer and stuff - then a Reverse Osmosis for drinking, cooking and tooth brush / pills.

Is there any water left after that^ ? LOL

Goes around , comes around .

Archived