A/C, Heater blower not working

HD_RIDER

I've seen occasional postings in the past about connectors usually being the problem, but have been unable to find those conversations now. My Volvo has been sitting way too long I know, only driven every few months to try to offset the afflictions that come with non-useage. The heater fan became intermittent some time back. Sometimes it would would start moving air as soon as the ignition was turned on, then it would work fine for that driving episode. Other times it didn't come on at all. I thought it might be easier to find the problem now, since it doesn't come on at all. I've got the blower motors sitting on the floor, and there's no voltage getting to the connectors in any switch positions. Fuses are okay, the first thing that I checked. Next will be getting to the switch itself to see if there's power getting to it. I noticed that the indicator light on the engine side of the firewall is blinking red, indicating a low charge in the A/C system. Not surprising since they will tend to leak when not being used.

I'm not at all familiar with the operational sequence of these systems. If the system is low on refrigerant, would that prevent the blower from running? I didn't think so since the blower used to come on with the ignition switch before the starter was engaged, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance,,,

Jess

Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian.
- Robert Orben

2001 Volvo 610, Cummins N14;10 speed; ET Hitch
2007 KZ New Vision Sportster 37FK;
1992 TourGlide Ultra w/ California Sidecar
NRA Life Member

Wow... 85 views and no comments. What's happened to this forum? I guess I've been "gone too long" as they say. Have all of the old-timers moved to another forum???

- Robert Orben

NRA Life Member

I was going to offer help but then I saw you had a gen1 truck...not sure what the heater situation is on that truck.

Does the heater/ac system come up in diags on the yellow screen?

OTR performance has a bunch of videos on youtube for this and related problems, but they seem to only focus on the gen2 truck.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

HD those were probably all non-Volvo users that looked at your post! We are increasing in numbers.

Have you checked wiring diagrams to see if Volvo runs the fan circuit through a computer? Do they show a resistor to control fan speed? Typically if it is a resistor you would lose different speeds first before quiting completely.

Did you try powering the fans directly from a 12 volt battery to verify they work?

Hopefully it is just a switch.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Thanks for the replies, thought maybe the forum wasn't as "friendly" these days as it's been a while since I've been on. I haven't tracked down the wiring diagram yet, I was hoping for something as simple as a loose or corroded connector. My achy joints got the best of me for a couple of days, but I'll do some more testing today. I haven't used a jumper yet to verify the condition of the blowers, but my test light failed to turn up any current at any of the connectors. When it started acting up, it would either work on all speeds or not at all. I'll have to take loose my Hayes brake controller to allow another section of the dash to be dropped in order to reach the switch. Not being as agile these days sucks... may end up taking to a shop before this is over.

- Robert Orben

NRA Life Member

There is a link in the resource guide for Gen1 wiring diagrams you can download.

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

There is a link in the resource guide for Gen1 wiring diagrams you can download.

Thanks, I'll start sorting through this :)

- Robert Orben

NRA Life Member

An update for those of you that may be curious.... After getting the connectors apart and re-testing with my test light, I actually do have power coming to the blower. I'm going to assume that in my previous testing I failed to make contact with the probe when I thought I had. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Bench testing the blower reveals that it doesn't run with power applied to the two feeds going into the motor itself. Obviously the motor itself has failed. Now the search for a replacement is on!

- Robert Orben

NRA Life Member

Does it look like one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Volvo-Truck-3946686-Fan-Motor/dp/B0028FX3CM

There is a new one on ebay that is even cheaper.

That's it, I found it even cheaper at truck AC warehouse http://www.truckacwarehouse.com/products/AC-Blower-Motor/BL-O13290/Blower-Assembly-Double-Shaft-With-Wheels

With shipping it's just under $120. All the numbers matched, so there's no guessing about whether it's the proper one. The old one appears to be the original according to the date stamp on it. I guess that's not bad, over 800k miles on it. It sort of threw me that it's described as a single speed, but the multi speed selection is done with the resistor & controls, not the motor itself. It would have run on high if it would have ran on the bench. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It should be here in about 4 days, maybe the weather will be back to spring-like then.....

- Robert Orben

NRA Life Member

HD, Just for info was it hard/difficult to remove than fan motor? Lets hope Spring is 5 days away for You. Of course that only gives you 1 day to install. Pat

The Old Sailor

The only hard part is my lack of agility these days. I've now got 5 vertebra fused together in my neck, and a knuckle in my dominant hand that needs replaced due to arthritis.. :unsure::unsure: Other than that, it wasn't bad. The lower dash had to be removed to get the cover off. Once the clips are removed, the whole thing just slides out. Getting it back together will be another wrestling match for me, but I have a few days to recover first :rolleyes: . This stuff doesn't seem to be as much fun as it used to be, and "old" got here before I was ready... :D

- Robert Orben

NRA Life Member

Archived