Whistleblower claims secret list at Overton Brooks VA Medical Center in Shreveport

RV_

I've used this VA center here, and am on the service connected list so appointments weren't hard. But there were several instances of very poor unprofessional service I'd received and observed personally. I believe this guy and will come forward on mine once they show a willingness to correct malfeasance and unprofessionalism. We have Barksdale AFB, and this VA regional med center here. Also the area is very vet and active duty friendly. Lots of businesses offering discounts for military ID card holders.

Excerpt:

"SHREVEPORT, La - Although problems with VA wait times and scheduling practices have been discussed by Government audits for over a decade, this issue really came to light after whistleblowers in Phoenix, Arizona, started talking to CNN about secret wait lists and veterans who died waiting for care. The whistleblowers in Arizona stayed anonymous, except for one physician, Dr. Foote, who waited until he had retired and secured his government benefits before being publicly identified. CNN continued its coverage with reports from six doctors in South Carolina and Georgia, none of whom would appear on camera. Since the Phoenix scandal broke, other news outlets have interviewed schedulers claiming to know how wait times were manipulated, but all of those that KTBS is aware of, have demanded that their identities be kept secret, their faces and voices obscured. The fear of reprisal by the VA has created this demand for anonymity.

But, Shea Wilkes has been willing to come forward and talk on camera, to KTBS. Wilkes had reported his concerns internally and to the V.A.’s Inspector General, who is aware of the alleged Overton Brooks secret wait list. But after the VA released numbers this past Monday, showing only 5 veterans waiting on an Electronic Wait List, and that established mental health patients only waited 2.07 days for appointments, he was ready to go outside the V.A. in hopes that the Inspector General will quickly come to Overton Brooks for their follow-up investigation.

When we mentioned his bravery in coming forward, Wilkes cited concerns for others at the V.A. who might face retaliation because of his actions. Wilkes tells KTBS that his goal is to put an end to manipulation of data, so that a real assessment of Veterans needs can be dealt with."

The whole article is here:

http://www.ktbs.com/story/25764110/whistleblower-claims-secret-list-at-overton-brooks-va-medical-center-in-shreveport

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived