Windows 10 Upgrade Data Required?

edatlanta

I have a laptop with W8.1 and am getting ready to make the W10 upgrade, but I am on a measured data plan using a smartphone as a hotspot. I usually have a few gig's left at the end of each billing cycle, but don't know how much will be needed for this install.

I may have to wait until my next visit with a friend with landline internet.

Thanks for any info.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

My Win10 update folder is just under 6 GB, but I believe the actual download is about 3 GB. There's also been a newer release that was 2 or 3 GB as well, but I don't know if they have bundled that into the current upgrade or not.

I'd be prepared for somewhere between 3 and 6 GB

I dont thiink it will make much difference to you but I have seen comments that if you upgrade now, it will include all updates.

The update will be way to slow over a phone connected or wifi internet. Also once it starts, you wont be able to stop it without screwing up you system unless you have a image backup.

Many free WiFi hotspots available, McDonald's, Starbucks and the like so dropping in on one of them is a good way to save your data limit for other uses.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I dont thiink it will make much difference to you but I have seen comments that if you upgrade now, it will include all updates.

The update will be way to slow over a phone connected or wifi internet. Also once it starts, you wont be able to stop it without screwing up you system unless you have a image backup.

Running the actual update should be the same speed regardless of connection method.

The installation media is completely downloaded and unpacked into a hidden folder before the update is started, and an internet connection isn't really needed for the update.

Downloading the update may be slower depending upon the connection speed, but it will be spread over several days if the bandwidth isn't available.

For those that haven't downloaded it yet, and want control over when that data is used... Microsoft is starting to force the download by default.

Here's our article on it, and what changes to make to preserve your metered data:

Windows 7 & 8.1 Users: Brace Yourself For a 6GB Windows 10 Download!

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

I went to a free wifi spot and downloaded the iso file so I could burn a DVD and run the update from a dvd. Worked best but the actual update still wanted network access to get new updates after the install. i had read of several problems running the install from the automatic downloaded files. I used the DVD to update the Wifes PC also. It's nice to actually have a media disc for Win 10.

Dave

I went to a free wifi spot and downloaded the iso file so I could burn a DVD and run the update from a dvd. Worked best but the actual update still wanted network access to get new updates after the install. i had read of several problems running the install from the automatic downloaded files. I used the DVD to update the Wifes PC also. It's nice to actually have a media disc for Win 10.

Dave

Same here: I have two Windows tablets and two virtual machines used for software development that needed updating shortly after the official release, so I created a bootable USB drive with the Media Creation Tool from MS.

Now I have the USB drive available as I get ready to update the three physical machines we have.

yup just a bit over 3gb for the d/l an prob another gb for updates. public wifi might be a tad slow. depending on processor could be a 3 hour tour. almost like taking a ride with the skipper , the professor an mary ann an of course ole pal gilligan .

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Dave

Good idea. I expect I will have approx 5 gig to spare this month so the d/l wouldn't put me over. I sill make this decision the last day of my data plan cycle which is the 19th. I have a 128gb thumb drive and this would be a great place to store the d/l file. I assume saving this file vs installing right then is an option? I'm not too worried about updates however I'm sure the first one could be bigger than the every week ones. I'm leaning to my hotspot vs public wifi due to speed. I am in a good strong 4g LTE area and routinely see 35-40 mbps download speeds.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch

For those that haven't downloaded it yet, and want control over when that data is used... Microsoft is starting to force the download by default.

Here's our article on it, and what changes to make to preserve your metered data:

Windows 7 & 8.1 Users: Brace Yourself For a 6GB Windows 10 Download!

- Cherie

Thanks for this link. I live on metered data most of the year. I have plenty of data available, but just have to be careful of large d/l's and definitely want to watch micosoft. I do the weekly updates to Windows, but always watch what is selected to d/l and definitely want it in manual mode.

Ed

KM4STL

Thanks to all that responded. I feel I have a better handle on what to expect now. Now I just wait for another 11 days to see how much data is left. I will either start the d/l then or wait.

Ed

KM4STL

• 3 weeks later...

I d/l the W10 update file last week when I was in a motel with excellent wifi and have been putting off the install until this morning. I finally bit the bullet and am now on W10. The install was pretty painless and was by far the easiest Windows update I have ever done and I go back to W1.0.

I was concerned about the forced updates living on a metered connection most of the time, but here is what I found. Using information you guys helped me with I found that you do have to select and set your wifi connection as a metered connection and if you do Windows won't d/l anything automatically. But I did find a way to look and see what d/l's are available. Here is the procedure I used. If anyone sees a hole in this process please let me know:

After playing with the W10 settings I found out I can do, I hope, what I was doing with W8.1 on a metered connection and that is having windows not d/l or install updates unless I manually do it. Here is what i found on W10:

Left click on the start button an select Settings
Click on Network and Internet
Left click on your wifi connection and then click on Advanced
Select the second item down Metered Connection and turn it on (You have to set each of your metered connections individually)

Back up two screens and click on Update and Security

The you will see a Check for Updates button. Press it and it will show you a list of updates available. It doesn't show the size of the d/l, but at least you can see what items are being updated. You then click on Download and then Install.

It seems to work fine. You just have to set each wifi connection that is metered to metered an all seems to be ok.

Comments?

Ed

KM4STL

Sounds about right to me Ed. I am not on limited data amounts so haven't done any testing just reading. I am interested to hear your longer term results for the others. You know that first hand, sometimes you are first.

I think most folks will be shocked at how smooth and easy the upgrade is to do. I was too.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived