Here comes the first Ubuntu Linux tablet

RV_

This is really a first, and may be a very good thing, especially if you already run Linux.

Excerpt:

"At the same time, Canonical is finally delivering on its promise to deliver one codebase for all devices. The upshot is you'll be able to use the first Ubuntu tablet, the Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Edition tablet, as a PC as well as a tablet.

Back in 2010, I was one of the first people to get my hands on Ubuntu Linux's new Unity PC interface. Back then I wrote, "Unity is not just a desktop interface though. It's also Ubuntu's one master interface for desktops, netbooks, and someday, tablets." That day has come.

On February 4th, Canonical announced its launch of the first Ubuntu tablet: the Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Edition tablet. This tablet will be available in March through BQ's online store,

It will have the following specs:

10.1 inch touchscreen with 1080p video
•MediaTek quad-core MT8163A 1.5GHz processor
•2GB RAM
•16GB internal storage, approximately 11GBs is available for use
•MicroSD slot (up to 64GB)
•802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, FM Radio
•8-megapixel camera with autofocus and dual flash
•Front mounted speakers
•Micro HDMI port
•7,280mAh Li-Po battery

Built by the Spanish OEM BQ, the 10-inch M10 is the first Ubuntu tablet. There are already Ubuntu smartphones such as the Aquaris E4.5 and E5 HD smartphones and China's Meizu MX4 smartphone.

Pricing has not been announced yet. Sources tell me though to expect it to cost 230 Euros or $260."

There is a lot more on the merging form factors and that this is just the beginning as they do what Microsoft has done. Put a full OS on a tablet, not a cell phone OS. These will run Ubuntu compatible full programs! I agree that one OS for all, mobility and office/home/enterprise. Choices are good, always. Go here for the rest, related articles and links: http://www.zdnet.com/article/here-comes-the-first-ubuntu-linux-tablet/?tag=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived