New at this...buying a travel trailer

dlbarr

Currently own a Jayco tent trailer and looking to move into a smaller TT. The local dealer has me interested in the Starcraft Extreme AR-One 17RD model. Also like the Rpod RP-180. I want to stay <$22K, the Starcraft certainly is well below that, the Rpod is close to that range.

I really know nothing about RVs in general, but just like to camp and travel around with my wife (& occasionally a child or two). We don't need alot of room but just something that can be towed behind our Suburban or perhaps even my Jeep GC.

Would appreciate any & all suggestions on models to consider and any other items of thought that I should be having. Thanks in advance

Dealers can sometimes have the kind of trailer you're looking for but you may want to look to an individual selling a rig. I've seen some fantastic deals. If you are lucky you may find a "lightly" used quality rig for a really good price. We have some friends who ran across such a deal. The folks that owned the rig had used the rig a couple of times and the rest of the time it sat inside! The rig looked like it had just come off the dealers showroom floor! You don't sound like you're in a rush so take your time and check out a variety of rigs. You'll find something that is just what you're looking for. Happy Travels, Dennis.

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

Currently own a Jayco tent trailer and looking to move into a smaller TT. The local dealer has me interested in the Starcraft Extreme AR-One 17RD model. Also like the Rpod RP-180. I want to stay <$22K, the Starcraft certainly is well below that, the Rpod is close to that range.
I really know nothing about RVs in general, but just like to camp and travel around with my wife (& occasionally a child or two). We don't need alot of room but just something that can be towed behind our Suburban or perhaps even my Jeep GC.
Would appreciate any & all suggestions on models to consider and any other items of thought that I should be having. Thanks in advance

Hello,

I’m new to RVing, but did happen to meet someone towing an R-pod with an SUV. He loved it and said towing was a breeze. He didn’t even use any of those sway control kits etc. He recommended checking out Couch’s RV online for super low prices. It sells for far less than your limit. I think it sells in the mid-teens.

There is also an active RPod forum online. R-pod seems to have a small cult following. If you like the small floor plan, it might be the best bet for towing with the Jeep.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy to have you join us and encourage you to post as often as may suit you.

The key thing to keep in mind with your choice of trailer is the weight limits of the two vehicles that you want to use to tow them. Each one will have a maximum tow weight rating and a maximum weight rating for the hitch. With any of the heavier RVs you will also need to consider using an equalizer type of hitch.

Are you looking at used or new units? Your budget should be ample for many of the smaller travel trailers if you want new. We looked at the R-pod when we were shopping but didn't get it because of the poor storage amounts and the sloped ceilings. They do seem to be reasonably well built. We have friends who owned one for several years and were happy with it but changed because they found the tent room to be inconvenient to set up.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Dlbarr, only get the R-pod if you know you'll be happy with the small size, short mattress, lack of storage etc. And if that's the case, maybe consider a Casita trailer instead. It's an easy tow, a similar size, a similar price range, and should be more durable, with less maintenance cost and higher resale value.

If you are going to look for a TT, if you get one with a toilet & shower make sure you can sit on the toilet and

close the door and that you also fit into the shower.

If you have a tow rate of 5000 lbs. or more you may want to look at something in the 20 plus foot range.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

If you are going to look for a TT, if you get one with a toilet & shower make sure you can sit on the toilet and

close the door and that you also fit into the shower.

If you have a tow rate of 5000 lbs. or more you may want to look at something in the 20 plus foot range.

Yes, I am beginning to expand what I'm looking at. Have decided that the bigger bathroom is a must (no interest in the toilet-in-the-middle-of-the-shower concept) and almost as important, the walk-around queen bed. Have see several 19-21' that fill the bill for that: Hideout, Bullet, Tracer, Heartland, Grey Wolf .... hard to choose. I'm interested in opinions from those that what to give them. Thanks.

I loved the toilet in the middle of the shower. Every time I took a shower I used a microfiber cloth to wipe down all the surfaces so the bathroom was always sparkling clean with little effort!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I’m new to RVing, but did happen to meet someone towing an R-pod with an SUV. He loved it and said towing was a breeze. He didn’t even use any of those sway control kits etc.

The towing of any RV without any sort of sway bar arrangement is not a safe practice. In the heavier trailers the an equalizer hitch is normally used and those are less sensitive to sway, but many experienced RV owners still add an anti-sway device.

312jh-sq94L._AA160_.jpg

The lighter weight trailers which do not require use of an equalizer hitch are very susceptible to side wind effects and also things like the gusts from passing trucks and larger vehicles.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

After owning a couple of popup trailers, a class C,then 3 TT and finally a MH I'll add my $0.02

My first TT was a 1969 23 Ft. that I towed with a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4, TT had a full bath tube/shower

was fine for 2-3 people. Next was a 2004 27 FT. Terry TT that I lived in full time in a small Park in CA.

during the time I was divorced, worked fine for me, but did lack clothes storage. Next was a 30 FT.

Keystone that worked fine for weekends and trips, but also lacked clothes storage for even a 2 week

trip out on the road. The 34E MH we now own has plenty of storage space for all our needs.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

Thanks, Phil. I enjoy knowing about what suits other's life circumstances. For me, at least at this point, we are looking for a minimalist albeit comfortable solution in a TT.

We are planning a lengthy trip to visit my aging parents who reside approx 2500 miles away and will be taking our youngest daughter with us. Every fall for approx 8 wks, I'll use the TT as my home away from home while I work on a project approx 4 hours away. Did that this year in my afore-mentioned Jayco pop-up but really don't see myself doing that again in the future. I'm one who can hunker down & "do without"....that, however, was enough of an experiment what with cold, rainy weather, that I'd rather not repeat. I don't need TV, but a toilet & warm shower of my OWN are non-negotiables going forward. And certainly my better half needs those requirements. The rest of the time will be camping in state parks & NFS.

I was really leaning toward the Starcraft AR-One Extreme 17RD and am still interested in that one. Yesterday I looked at a Bullet 19FBPR, I think it was. Very roomy layout for a smaller unit. The sales guy told me it had aluminum frame which interested me also. I understand those have major (?) advantages over stick frame models.

Archived