BoatAnt - WiFi - Cellular Hot Spot - Sprint ZING...?

This might get long...Sorry

I want to connect to cellular using a Verizon and a Sprint Hotspot (My company supplies the Verizon and I pay for the Sprint. 3g a month for $30 grandfathered)

I want to extend my WiFi performance to reach a McDonalds, Starbucks, etc while on the road.

Currently I have a Yagi antenna on a 16' mast that I've deployed and connect to the previous Sprint and current Verizon Jetpack. I bought this antenna from Amazon. Recently Sprint replaced my old HotSpot with a new unit tyhat operates on a new system they are using. I've not had the chance to try it with this antenna yet.

31LEC7%2BOn9L.jpg

• Highest Gain Wide-Band Log Periodic Yagi Antenna with 30ft cable and mounting hardware
  • Antenna adapter cable for Verizon Wireless Novatel MiFi Jetpack 4620L 4620LE 4G LTE Global Hotspot
  • Frequency: 698-960/1710-2700 MHz
  • Gain: 11dBi 30ft LMR200 Low-Loss Extension Cable

This antenna works great to "capture" cell sights on the Hotspots. A simple wire to the antenna connection on the Verizon MiFi hotspot and turn the mast for best performance. In the mountains of Vermont and the wilds of Maine it has worked great when nothing else was receiving cell service.

QUESTION:

#1) Would this antenna work on my recently upgraded Spring Hotspot that operates on the new Sprint system?

"The new Zing support Sprint's new tri-band approach to LTE. Sprint has been taking its existing 1900MHz LTE network and supplementing it with 800MHz, which does much better at penetrating buildings, and 2600MHz, which should provide scorching speed in urban areas."

#2) Would this antenna work with some type of WiFi router to extend my WiFi range?

#3) Would the BoatANT be a better choice for an antenna being that it is omni directional and operates on all frequencies http://www.wireng.com/boatant/

"The BoatAnt™ is a top quality, omnidirectional antenna that can be used as an external antenna for amplifiers/repeaters/boosters (GSM/PCS/DCS/2G/3G/4G/AWS/UMTS/WiMAX), direct-connect antenna for cellular devices such as cell phones, modems, and mobile hotspots, direct-connect antenna for Wi-Fi devices, and direct-connect antenna for WiMAX devices."

#4) Is there any way to use one antenna, one cable and some type of device in the camper to improve both Hotspot cellular and WiFi performance?

#5) What would you recommend?

#6) Am I making this more complicated than it is?

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can offer!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Jack can talk a lot more to the performance of the BoatAnt. I just took his word and acquired one for the new motorhome because there was no batwing antenna to use for a trucker antenna mount.

The BoatAnt mount I made is at 4G Antenna mount.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Roy, I guess I am a little confused. Why would you want to extend the range of your wifi hotspot. Since it's your phone, you carry it with you where ever you go. If your looking for a booster for cell service, the Wilson is the best I have found. Getting better cell service on your phone does not necessarily mean better data access, they are two different things. The wifi amplifiers help you pull in wifi access points other than your phone hotspot. The omni-directional antennas are not as efficient as the yagi antenna but you don't need to point them. We use a combination phone hotspot and external wifi antenna to pull in access points when available to save using our Verizon data. The 9db omni antenna on our set up, I built my own, will pull in access points from miles away quite often. The antenna/amplifier connects via a cat 5 cable to our router. I can connect the phone hotspot to the external wifi and use it over the router, but why bother. I can connect several devices to the phone hotspot. So maybe a bit more explanation of what your trying to do might help. There are a number of products almost exactly like the BoatAnt on the market. They are all based on the Ubiquiti Bullet, an omni-directional antenna and usually a proprietary software to connect to the access points. So shop around for the best prices and check reviews to see how user friendly the software interface is from other users. I built my own for less that $100.00 compared to the prices of the ready made units. But it does take a bit of setup. Once the setup is done, it's pretty simple from that point on. Not sure if this helps you any. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

There are a number of products almost exactly like the BoatAnt on the market. They are all based on the Ubiquiti Bullet, an omni-directional antenna and usually a proprietary software to connect to the access points.

The BoatAnt is an antenna. It has nothing to so with radios like Ubiquiti. It is used with either the 4G modem or with an amplifier like the Wilson Sleek.

Know what you are talking about before recommending things.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the input.

My goal is the ability to access a cell tower while in a remote location to use my HotSpot for data.......The ability to make a cell phone call would be a bonus. Many times I'm in areas where I can send and receive cell calls, but I can't access data as the local tower I'm attached to might not offer data. In that case I need to reach out and find a more urban tower that offers data.

WiFi extension is just that. Parked in a lot somewhere and a McDonalds is down the street. I want to access their WiFi. Or being on the fringe of a campground and want to use the supplied WiFi .

I was hoping one antenna would do it all. It seems I need two unique systems. A SLEEK or other Wilson type product for cellular/HotSpot connection and some type of WiFi range extender for my WiFi needs.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

Jack Mayer on Communication is a very good resource on solutions for WiFi extension and for better cell reception.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Roy, Your quite welcome. You might look at this antenna, https://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=MA600.A.ABC.006&v=931 ,now that I understand what your trying to do. I'm still not sure it will work to help you connect to outside access points. Best to send an email to the manufacturer with your questions. That's the best source. But then I don't claim to be an expert. My field is installation of marine electronics for 35 years, but the needs of the marine industry is very much like the RVer's needs. Typically we had to install two systems. Good luck. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Well, I placed my order yesterday with Eric Johnson, Owner of TechnoRV. VERY helpful folks and seem to know what they are talking about. He offered free shipping and knocked another $20 off for a "package" deal.....and no sales tax like I'm forced to pay now at Amazon.

WiFi Booster Tube Antenna

ALFA WiFi USB Repeater

WeBOOST Drive 4G-M

Total $509.00

http://www.technorv.com

Along with my long range Yagi antenna this should allow me to run my business on the road without interruption.......I hope!

Thanks for all the advise....

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

I use the BoatAnt combined with a Wilson Sleek & a NetGear (Verizon) AC791L Jetpack. The BoatAnt seems to have a bit more gain than my older Wilson Trucker antenna, but since I'm rarely in the same place to do an exact comparison, I'm just guessing. The combination works well, but, of course, does nothing to improve WiFi signals...

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

Your Yagi looks the same as mine (a Wilson directional antenna). It will cover all the popular cell ranges (as well as Wifi). The challenge comes on the booster end. Most are either made for boosting cell or boosting Wifi. Only a few (expensive ones) will do both. Another issue with many wifi boosters is that they will not support systems that use a web page as part of the authentication process (such as McDonald's, Panera, and many other free public wifi locations). They will only work with wifi systems where you can plug in the user name and password via your device's default networking screen (what pops up when a new network is detected).

Now if you discover that the Alfa booster does indeed handle web page authentication systems (like McDonald's), then do tell! I'll buy one right away!

Lynne

2007 Winnebago View 23J

2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2

Blog: WinnieViews

Facebook Page : WinnieViews

Your Yagi looks the same as mine (a Wilson directional antenna). It will cover all the popular cell ranges (as well as Wifi). The challenge comes on the booster end. Most are either made for boosting cell or boosting Wifi. Only a few (expensive ones) will do both. Another issue with many wifi boosters is that they will not support systems that use a web page as part of the authentication process (such as McDonald's, Panera, and many other free public wifi locations). They will only work with wifi systems where you can plug in the user name and password via your device's default networking screen (what pops up when a new network is detected).

Now if you discover that the Alfa booster does indeed handle web page authentication systems (like McDonald's), then do tell! I'll buy one right away!

Lynne

None do both FCC won't allow it.

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

Archived