Front Extendables Won't Extend

ANG0225

29 views and no suggestions, folks might not understand what you are asking about, I don't.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

If you are referring to the front landing gear, then Yes, I have had that happen. I raised them at a campground in the AM and they failed to lower when I arrived home. The motor still spun but no movement. I sat in the front compartment where a built in generator would go and observed the junction where a roll pin was supposed to connect the motor to the mechanism. No roll pin. I got up and found that I had been sitting on it. It had just worked it's way out. I gooped it up with Loc-Tite and reinstalled the pin. I don't expect it to fall out again. If all failures were this easy to fix I'd be a happy man.

Ah, landing gear!

If they move some but then stop without rude noises it is likely they are not dead. I'd start by following the wires and making sure all the connections are good. If you have a multimeter ($20-25 for a decent one) you can follow the voltage from the battery to the motor and see if there is an issue there. Don't forget to check both the hot and ground sides of the circuit.

If you get rude noises it is likely you have a broken shear pin if you are the lucky sort, if you aren't lucky something else may have broken. Sometimes a rivet or two will pop in the motor head and that can be fixed with a bolt and nut once it is drilled out. Might just be a mounting bolt that has backed out a bit too.

Some brands have decent manuals on line if you Google for them, that can really help if you need a pin, brushes or another part.

Worst case get the fiver back on the truck and then raise it or dig under the legs so you can collapse the manual section and you should be able to get it to a dealer for repair.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I took it to mean slides going out............ I think that we need better information to be able to help much. If it is slides, there may be an electrical problem, a blown fuse or perhaps a hydraulic problem.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Whilst we are waiting for OP to return, my electro/hydraulic landing gear quits at least once during extension/retraction......(no load)...... Wait 30 seconds and finish retraction. It's all built into the routine. There's an automatic breaker which trips. It's a known quirk on these units. Some owners have put a slightly higher rating breaker in there and that solves the problem. It's on my list.... somewhere.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Thanks for all those who tried to interpret my question! Sorry I wasnt more clear. I am referring to the landing gear. When I attempt to it extend them there is no noise whatsoever. However, if I try to raise them up, they do go up. Will try to google the brand, once I figure out what it is (its been raining). I can't wait until I figure out all this stuff about my 5er!

Good going friends! I took the switch out and actually wiggled it a little and it worked! Thanks! Now it makes a noise as it is moving. It may be that since I have the hatch open that contains landing gear motor and other equipment that I can hear it better. Will add that to my list of stuff I want a good tech to look at next time.

Thanks again!

Archived