Computer WiFi Question

oldjohnt

So, my laptop has your typical built in WiFi. In addition I also have an external USB connected WiFi Adapter Antenna.

QUESTIONS

When using the external antenna, should I disable the internal WiFi or does it make any difference (net signal strength) if its left on ??

My network adapter screen (where I can disable or allow the different sources) also has a link to BRIDGE CONNECTIONS, what does that mean

and how does that work??? Should I try to BRIDGE my internal and external wifi antennas??? Does that increase my signal by adding both internal

and external antenna sources???

UPDATE some time back when I purchased my new Windows 10 Laptop I questioned if I should try one of those Mirror Image or Ghost or Drive Copy software programs to sort of clone both my data PLUS installed software programs, but I backed out and instead CLEAN REINSTALED MY SOFTWARE PROGRANS then copied/transferred all my raw data using Carbonite and/or my external HD AND IM GLAD I DID THAT. It all works well and I'm very happy with Windows 10 including all the latest updates.

John T Electrical but NOT so much Electronic or Computer Engineer. Back in the sixties at Purdue we still studied Vacuum Tubes !!!

It probably depends more on the design of the computer that you have, but I doubt that it actually uses more than one antenna. If you did it would be possible for the two antennas to see different signals as the strongest available. Antenna theory is not my bag either, but I think that I have figured out how they work. If it magic!

My vacuum theory instructor in 1961 knew that the transistor was just a Japanese gimmick and would never be good for much of anything! :rolleyes:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On my laptop it uses one or the other, never both. When I turn off the internal connection the PC is a little faster on network traffic because I have forced it to use the better, faster connection. Fewer resends of packets etc. To use both I would think the PC would need some type of routing or connection sharing software.

Dave

... UPDATE some time back when I purchased my new Windows 10 Laptop I questioned if I should try one of those Mirror Image or Ghost or Drive Copy software programs to sort of clone both my data PLUS installed software programs, but I backed out and instead CLEAN REINSTALED MY SOFTWARE PROGRANS then copied/transferred all my raw data using Carbonite and/or my external HD AND IM GLAD I DID THAT. It all works well and I'm very happy with Windows 10 including all the latest updates.

I'm with you in this regard. I usually end up replacing my personal PC roughly ever 5 years - and tend to "fine tune" the timing of the purchase based what's happening in the Windows OS world (i.e., I'll delay buying if there's a new OS update imminent). When I get a new computer - I studiously avoid doing a bulk transfer of data and software to clone them both onto the new PC. Instead, I assess pretty much every piece of application software on my old machine - first, to determine if it's something I'm actually still using. Second, I look at software versions - and decide whether or not it's right for me to upgrade. Lastly, I always go thru the data on the old machine and purge anything that I don't truly need.

I just picked up a new laptop (old machine was a 6 year old mini-tower "desktop" class machine) that will travel much better. In the end - I jumped from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro as well as upgrading all my Microsoft business apps (the Office Professional suite of products, Visio Professional, Project Professional) from the 2010 versions to the 2016 versions) as part of the process. I was able to simply discard a number of utilities (i.e., PDF print tools, some contact management stuff, etc.) because of the functionality that they provided is now included as part of the Windows 10 OS or addressed in upgrades within products in the MS Office suite.

While I don't feel compelled to constantly upgrade stuff just because something new comes out - computer software does have a lifespan. Reviewing and judiciously upgrading your software when you buy new hardware is simply good "lifecycle management".

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

Usually you are better off with just one active connection at a time, just one WiFi or the wired connection. You can open status windows for each active connection and see which one(s) your computer is actually using. If you have any network diagnostic tools available you can also try running them over the various connections and with multiple ones active to see if it makes much difference.

Bridging is a bit complicated and doesn't always work well, better to let your router tie your wired and wireless networks together.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/what-is-a-network-bridge

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived