Propane System inspection

wlw41

Our Fleetwood Expedition is approaching 10 years old which we purchased new. During that time I have never had a thorough inspection of the tank and plumbing. It is not something that would even be looked at in a Pennsylvania vehicle inspection. It seems that I've heard that whoever would make such an inspection must be "certified" but not sure by whom. Would be interested to hear from those that have had their propane systems checked for safety and integrity.

Wendell (Wendy) & Ella Williams

'05 Fleetwood Expedition

Traveling w/ "Jacki" our Maltedoodle

'05 Jeep Laredo toad

"Not all who wander are lost"

I've had mine checked by my regular RV dealer. Not sure what they do, but I know it includes a leak-down check of the system.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Generally if you just do a leakdown check and a physical check of the connections that is sufficient. You may want to see if it has a low-point liquid trap and drain that if present. That is usually somewhere close to the tank - where the iron pipe or copper pipe runs start. The rest of the integrity of the system is really the appliances. And if they are working properly there should be no issues even at that age. But yearly inspection and maintenance of propane appliances is a good habit - follow the appliance manuf. instructions.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

. It seems that I've heard that whoever would make such an inspection must be "certified" but not sure by whom. Would be interested to hear from those that have had their propane systems checked for safety and integrity.

Do you mean that for some reason you feel the need to get it inspected? The type of propane tank that is permanently installed in vehicles is required to meet ASME standards which are different from those on portable bottles, and the ASME tanks certification does not expire the way that portable bottle DOT certification does. They use a significantly different standard and different rules.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

good question, as i have a 2000 dp. tank is original. here is what i was told by a propane salesman, in ref to my household Grill propane tank,

its dated, an he said they not suppose to fill tanks that are over 10 yrs old. Now i realize tank size is much different, are walls made thicker than household grill tanks?

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

if you just do a leakdown check and a physical check of the connections that is sufficient.

The type of propane tank that is permanently installed in vehicles is required to meet ASME standards which are different from those on portable bottles, and the ASME tanks certification does not expire the way that portable bottle DOT certification does. They use a significantly different standard and different rules.

X2..

Now i realize tank size is much different

Not necessarily. There are small ASME tanks.. and they may not always be horizontal. If in doubt, check the rating marks. Capacities will be measured in pounds for a DOT tank while an ASME will be rated in gallons... and yes, the construction standards are quite different.

Must have been too late at night, Yarone.........

ASME tanks are tanks that meet the standards set by the American Society of Engineers. That’s where they get their designation of ASME.

• No retesting period
  • Heavier than DOT tanks of the same size
  • Thicker steel provides longer life
  • Data plate markings
    • Intended service (AG or UG)
    • Water capacity
    • Design working pressure
    • “This Container Shall Not Contain a Product Having a Vapor Pressure in Excess of __ Psig at 100 degrees F.”
    • Outside surface area
    • Year of Manufacture
    • Serial Number
    • ASME Code
    • Stationary ASME tanks are different than mobile ASME tanks in that they are not designed to be moved when they are legally full of gas.
      • Must set at least 10 feet from external source of ignition, intake to direct vented gas appliance, or intake to a mechanical ventilation system
      • No minimum distance between two tanks
      • 5 foot minimum distance to openings below the top of the tank
    • DOT tanks are governed by a different set of standards. The Department of Transportation sets the standards for the transportation of hazardous chemicals and so the tanks that transport them have to be under strict regulation.

DOT Tanks

• DOT retest periods are 12 years after manufacturing, then each 5 year period thereafter if done visually
    • Portable tanks normally used for Temporary Service at construction sites or for emergency services at a customer’s site
    • Inscribed on the collar of tank
      • Design code
      • Water capacity
      • Retest date
      • Tare weight
      • Dip tube length
        • 10 foot minimum from external source of ignition, direct vent, or mechanical ventilation system
        • 3 foot minimum distance to openings below the top of the tank

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived