Leaker reveals details about Microsoft Edge extensions -- and the news is good

RV_

I am still using IE 11 on my Windows 10 systems because Edge, while quicker and leaner, still has not been completed with extensions included. Now I am more hopeful. Here's why.

Excerpt:

"Sample extensions posted on the Mega site look surprisingly similar to Chrome extensions. It could be a whole new browser ballgame.

I don't know how, but accomplished Microsoft sleuth WalkingCat (@h0x0d) has uncovered a not-ready-for-prime-time Web page that's loaded with marketing-level information about extensions in Microsoft Edge. Microsoft pulled the page immediately, but @h0x0d posted screenshots and -- more spectacularly -- (presumably pilfered) sample code for two industrial-strength Edge extensions.

If the pilfered code actually works with a forthcoming version of Edge, Windows 10 fans have some much-needed good news.

You can see the screenshot posted on @h0x0d's original tweet. It's a page apparently directed at developers who are part of the Windows 10 Technical Preview. The teaser starts:

Extensions are here! Beginning with Build XXXXX in Windows 10 Technical Preview, a selection of extensions are available for Microsoft Edge… Maybe some text here about new extensions coming in future updates, and how you can get started on writing your own?

There are buttons for downloading extensions, and for the API documentation.

Scrolling further down the page, two sample extensions are on offer. One creates a Pinterest "Pin It" button. The other connects to the Reddit Enhancement Suite, a multipurpose search engine for Reddit."

The clickable links for the above sites and more info are here on Infoworld: http://www.infoworld.com/article/3013781/microsoft-windows/leaker-reveals-details-about-microsoft-edge-extensions-and-the-news-is-good.html?token=%23tk.IFWNLE_nlt_infoworld_tech_microsoft_2015-12-16&idg_eid=6aa01e18b29f7b6f9149f611f8eac228&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=InfoWorld%20Windows%20Report%202015-12-16&utm_term=infoworld_tech_microsoft#tk.IFW_nlt_infoworld_tech_microsoft_2015-12-16

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived