Smart GFCI

oldjohnt

A camping buddy just e mailed me this link regarding "Smart" GFCI's. I haven't yet researched it, just tossing it out here. I do like its features provided they actually "work", don't over nuisance trip, are RV compatible, and compatible with other monitors and controls.

All those discussions with Lynne just got me in the Safety conscious mode. In areas where extension cords could get frayed, pinched or misused (NONE of us would everrrrrrrrrrr do that right) I'm also a believer in Arc Fault AFCI use.

http://www.rvtravel.com/?q=blog/do-your-gfci-receptacles-meet-new-requirements

John T

All the 120V devices in my MH are in boxes which would accommodate these new GFCI's. But IMHO it would be a real PIA to be out somewhere and discover that the device was "denying power" because it sensed that its fault protection ability was compromised. I'm all in favor of safety but this kind of failsafe would be rather inconvenient in the kinds of places that RVers are likely to be when one of these fails. No nearby Home Depot or Lowes could make for a spoiled camping trip. Why not let the device provide a visual or audible warning without denying power?

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Bill B, I haven't seen RV's that had AFCI either and assumed it must NOT be an NEC requirement. I do think AFCI is a good safety device but I have no idea what Middlebury manufacturers are producing nowadays???? I took a few tours up there some years back and the RV Museum is very interesting.

doc, EXACTLY a Smart GFCI could be a major PIA lol As I mentioned their use would have to be " ....... provided they actually "work", don't over nuisance trip, are RV compatible, and compatible with other monitors and controls." Good point, I wouldn't have any heartburn if the smart GFCI provided NOTICE versus complete power denial !!!!!!! But they are designed for homeowners Billy Bob and Bubba remember, who wired their garage while downing a case of beer and by golly it works fine lol

I have replaced some of my convenience outlets with deep metal boxes and NEMA 5-20R duplex receptacles (MUCH safer then the factory installed 15 amp outlets), but yeppers those shallow boxes don't work for a deep GFCI.

Keep safe yall

John T

Thanks for the cite Bill, Indeed there's the AFCI exception right under my home state and where many RV's are built INDIANA. Since I've been retired from active practice so long I don't keep up with the NEC at all, but back in the day it was those three year NEC update seminars with the likes of Mike Holt and Joe McPartland.

John T

Archived