Battery Shut Off Switch for golf cart batteries?

Velos

If anyone here uses a golf cart seasonally in your RV Park how do you prepare it for off season storage??

Our RV has a battery shut off switch they we use when we are not in our rv to extend the life of the battery and we were wondering if one could be installed in a golf cart? We are not mechanically inclined so any details would be appreciated.

Thank you.

We do have a golf cart that sometimes sits unused for months at a time and the very first thing that I installed was a battery switch. I used the battery master type and I installed it on the ground side of the battery bank.

41Pylz9BnTL._AA160_.jpg31T1FqrdBqL._AA160_.jpg

Even so, after 5 months the batteries were getting a bit flat so I later added a second cut-off and bought myself a Battery Minder for my 48V battery bank. I use a cut-off on both ends of the battery bank now because my Club Car has the battery charge control built into the cart and so I want to isolate the maintainer for the cart electronic controls while in use. I feel that the float charger does a lot to extend battery life but you do want to be sure that your electrolyte is at proper level before you leave for an extended period.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

we were wondering if one could be installed in a golf cart? We are not mechanically inclined so any details would be appreciated.

Thank you.

You most certainly could... and I would, but it's not a necessity. If I'm going to be away for even a couple of days it's my habit to kill the power to everything so having a switch just makes it all the easier. However, if I was the type of person that only disconnects for longer term storage then it's really just about as easy to disconnect the battery cable while I'm hooking up the battery minder.

The post top disconnect that Kirk showed you is both effective and very inexpensive. Why not? ;)

We do have a golf cart that sometimes sits unused for months at a time and the very first thing that I installed was a battery switch. I used the battery master type and I installed it on the ground side of the battery bank.

41Pylz9BnTL._AA160_.jpg31T1FqrdBqL._AA160_.jpg

Even so, after 5 months the batteries were getting a bit flat so I later added a second cut-off and bought myself a Battery Minder for my 48V battery bank. I use a cut-off on both ends of the battery bank now because my Club Car has the battery charge control built into the cart and so I want to isolate the maintainer for the cart electronic controls while in use. I feel that the float charger does a lot to extend battery life but you do want to be sure that your electrolyte is at proper level before you leave for an extended period.

Thanks for the links and photos.

Archived