Grey tank odors

rasgle0165

I purchased a 2014 Palomino Columbus and have been noticing some foul odors coming up through the shower and bathroom sink drains after water drains. I assume this is due to air displacement in the grey water tank. To my surprise I discovered that there are no P-traps below the drains. I queried the manufacturer and was told that they had probably installed hepa valves instead of p-traps. I doubt anything was installed. I've tried using "Blue" treatment and bleach/water mixtures but have not had much luck. Has anyone had similar problems, and if so how did you rectify it? Any help is appreciated.

The P trap,or Hepvo valve are not the only places you can get orders from the gray tank. It's possible you have a stuck Air Admittance Valv (AAV). I good is to shut the drains on your sinks and put about an inch ow water. If you still get the gray tank oder it might be the AAV. Look,around under the sinks for a standing pipe with what looks like a fat hockey puck on top. These are simpley one way valve that lets air into the tank but not out of the tank. Some have had problems with these sticking and allowing air to go both ways.

What about the valves usually under the sinks. If they need to be replaced, they will allow grey odor into the motorhome. They are black and not very expensive. We have 3 of them and have replaced all three. They do age and stop working properly.

Pat DeJong

My son has a 2015 version of the same make and model. After weeks of trying to resolve it issue, he found that there are two grey water tanks and he was only draining one (other dump valve isn't near the others) and they were cross connected. He drained both tanks, sanitized, problem solved.

What about the valves usually under the sinks. If they need to be replaced, they will allow grey odor into the motorhome. They are black and not very expensive. We have 3 of them and have replaced all three. They do age and stop working properly.

You DO NOT have to take your rig to the dealer for these. Are very inexpensive and can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot in the plumbing department, I always keep an extra on hand. Old one screws off and new one screws on in place of it.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

I purchased a 2014 Palomino Columbus and have been noticing some foul odors coming up through the shower and bathroom sink drains after water drains. I assume this is due to air displacement in the grey water tank.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy to have you here and we will do our best to help whenever we are able.

On the odor problem, it is not uncommon for the gray water tank to smell worse than the black, mostly due to more activity by aerobic bacteria in the black and both tanks have vents that go up through the roof of the RV to avoid much sewer gas from getting into the RV. Your experience with odor from the gray tank is a very common one and is something that most of us experience sooner or later. The plumbing vent valve that has been mentioned is the most common cause of this problem. As stated, there is one up and under each of your sinks and while not easily seen they can be easily replaced and are available from Lowe's, Home Depot, and a host of other stores that sell plumbing parts.

th_vent-cap.jpgth_under-sink.jpg

You can read an article about this issue and how to correct it if you visit this link on the internet.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I had a solar powered vent fan on the only roof vent I have. The old one was not working and I got a new one. Oder's stopped////

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Archived