Black Water Tank Design?

We have a Salem Hemisphere 2011 model 262 RL

The black water tank seems so shallow that the solids stack up, often is stacking up into the toilet tube even if the tank is not full. We use the correct paper and use plenty water when flushing.

The tank will not completely drain unless I use the black water flush inlet AND use the wand.

It is our third RV, so I'm familiar with the sewer systems. I never had this problem with the first two.

We are wondering if others have this issue and/or any solutions.

We are old enough to be concerned if I am unable to do the tricks with the wand, etc, that my Sweet Honey would be able to drain the black water by just pulling the valve.

The RV is now at a permanent site to be used 6 months or so per year.

Any help would be appreciated.

When using The black water tank, use 1 bowl of water for number1. 2 bowls of water for number 2.

If you use a good amount of water the pile should not form. Also install a clear fitting on the drain pipe before the drain hose. That way you can see if you have brown water coming out or clear and solids separately.

With more water and filling the tank almost full will give the solids the best chance of turning into liquid.

Safe Travels, Vern

ok, when I cleaned the tank to winterizing it, I measured the clearance. It is less than two inches from the bottom of the pipe to the tank bottom !!!!

LESS THAN TWO INCHES !

Forest River customer service is amazed and told me to have it fixed correctly and send them the bill.

I'm sure this will be done by removing the toilet and pulling up the pipe to cut it off?

post-21105-0-78089300-1443103446_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a new Fleetwood motorhome that has a marine electric toilet. this toilet is flushed with the push of a button and it macerates whatever is in the bowl as it flushes. The amount of water used is adjustable and it can also be flushed multiple times if need be. I've had zero problems with it. It occurred to me that this could be a simple solution to your problem.

Forest River customer service is amazed and told me to have it fixed correctly and send them the bill.

I'm sure this will be done by removing the toilet and pulling up the pipe to cut it off?

I was wondering if you got the problem solved? I was away from the forums for most of Sept. so missed this reply. Let us know what happened as it would sound as though you have found the problem. that pipe should never extend that far into the tank. Just how to go about a correction would depend upon how the plumbing was done and where the tank is located.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived