Jacalope

heavyduty

The truck I bought already had a Herin bed on it. The 7 prong rv plug on back works fine but it was wired without a jacalope. My question is there any big advantage of the jacalope. I am not satisfied with the brake controller and want to add a Direct Link,but was just wandering about adding the jacalope at the same time. Thanks

In my opinion the Jackolopee is a quality built conversion box, and well worth the money I spent for mine. Plus, if you ever have any trailer lighting, or plug, or braking problems the LED's built into the Jackolopee are great for trouble shooting. I don't think you'll ever be sorry for taking the time to put one in your truck. This is my thinking anyway.

Ed

Made my own panel. Wanted something I could fix on the road. Used common automotive 12 volt relays. Put LEDs on the input side and the output side so I know what both sides are doing. Had to add an emergercy flasher section as they did not work on the Volvo trailer plug.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Looks like you still rely on a three-to-two converter, like a Hoppy which the Jackalopee was designed to eliminate. Only the top end Hoppy model has the reliability to be close to the Jackalopee. Otherwise you just have a relay isolated Hoppy (or similar).

I have run with a high end Hoppy for 9 years now. There was no Jackalopee then. But the Hoppy is $85 and for a few dollars more you will have the relay isolation of the Jacckalopee.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Yep, I agree. should have said this in the earlier post. Buy a Jackalope. I already had the Hoppy (on the Volvo when I bought it) and had all the relays. The wiring on my Volvo was a disaster. Lights to the trailer did not even work. I pulled a lot of useless wires out where someone tried to make it work. I am just a tinker and like building my own stuff when I can. The Jackalope is a good buy at the price if you don't have all the stuff and the time to make your own.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Larry Herrin now uses Jackalopees to wire his trucks. You must have one of the pre-Jackalopee Herrin beds.

Jackalopee was developed as an "alternative" to "expertly" done Hoppy based truck lights conversions.

08a.jpg

07.jpg

Cluster%252520f.jpg

Yes, this bolt ties together two wires "to make connection".

An alternative,

05.jpg

The external relay was added to drive two massive spot lights driven by the reverse lights.

Archived