Banking for my Small Business

Trelawny

My husband and I have a small resort in upper Michigan. We plan to start shutting it down in the winter to travel this year. I am trying to organize myself to run the business on the road. I plan to sign up for the Escapee Mail Forwarding service. But my question here is - how do I handle business deposits? Every winter we ask our customers to send us their deposits and we get checks in the mail. My husband doesn't feel comfortable with mailing in those deposits to our current bank here. I thought of Mobile banking where you take a picture of the check and deposit it online, but banks either charge a lot of fees for that it seems. So long story short - are there other folks out there that take their business on the road - and how do they handle their banking? Thank you!

We have a checking account for both our personal use and for our publishing business. We use Charles Schwab and have been for about 20 years. We use our mail forwarding service, NATO in Sarasota, FL for our personal and business address. We sell our books online and ship them from where ever we are. Checks for the business still need to be mailed and personal checks can be deposited using their smartphone app. No problems at this point. We don't know of any banking service that will allow depositing business checks electronically, but there may be someone out there. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Look into opening an account with a credit union. Escapees members are eligible to open an account with Alliant Credit Union if you aren't eligible for another one.

Credit unions across the country are networked together so you can walk into any participating credit union office and conduct business as if you were at your home branch. Alliant has a network of over 80,000 surcharge-free affiliated ATMs where you can deposit checks and get cash nationwide.

There are several multi-state banks that will let you do the same thing, but I don't know of any that reach across all 50 states like credit unions do.

Look into opening an account with a credit union. Escapees members are eligible to open an account with Alliant Credit Union if you aren't eligible for another one.

Credit unions across the country are networked together so you can walk into any participating credit union office and conduct business as if you were at your home branch.

The latter is known as "shared branching", and while many credit unions do participate, Alliant is not one; I recently asked because I found conflicting information. The Alliant rep responded that they do not participate.

Here's the link to learn more about shared branching http://www.cucenters.com/cucenter/index.cfm/shared-branching/

Michelle

It is the business account that is the issue. Personal banking is another story....

Photo deposit of business checks is what you have to ask about. You might ask Alliant that question....I'm very happy with Alliant, but I don't do business banking with them.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

When I was traveling full time and weighing rigs at the various rallies all over the USA, I took checks. Rather than bundle them up and send to the credit union we used to use we opened a Chase Bank account. We found them everywhere and it made depositing easy.

These are the banks with the most U.S. branches:

1.Wells Fargo

2.JPMorgan Chase

3.Bank of America

Stacey Frank
SKP #67438
2013 Tiffin Allegro RED 34QFA

2015 Cadillac SRX
2019 Tesla Model X

1991 Avanti Convertible

Archived