TIRES - RECOMMENDED AND WHICH TO AVOID

FULLTIMEWANABE

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your feedbacks etc, we went with the Toyo's before leaving in late August and have now returned after 6+ week trip we had planned, covering quite a lot of mileage throughout Washington, Oregon, California, back up through Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Idaho and Montana. All appeared good with these tires, but time will tell. Thanks again.

Be careful of a "Regional" tire as they are designed for local delivery and not long haul operations. Your tire life on the highway will be much less.

I bought a new MDT equipped with regional tires and only got 40,000 miles out of them. I did not know the difference until a Michelin factory rep explained it to me.

Jerry

SKP 27953
Country Coach Motorhome with 400HP Kitty Cat
"Running the roads seeing God's Great Creation"

Now get your rig werighed on all 4 corners, email Toyo for their pressure chart and a adjust accordingly. We had Toyos put on our rig when we bought it. Tire people aired us up with 100psi on fronts and 95 on rears. Horrible ride etc. When we had it weighed we found out it was all wrong. We now run 95 on front and 110 on rears. Huge difference even without the other steering issues we had to address. Every persons rig is different according to how your loaded.

Balancing beads were put in new. Love hate relationship. We have one rear tire valve core stem that goes caput every time we check the pressure. Multiple different valves have been tried. Huge PIA. Our fronts are spin balanced ( another long story).

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Ron and Linda, duly noted thanks! We had the same experience when installed with the not ideal pressures and now we run close to what you are. With the tyres, alignment, spring, new alternator and all the other things we had done prior to our trip (bank balance looks sick but .......) hubby commented how different she drives now after covering quite a lot of mileage. The doozies though forgot to install the extended valves on the duallies and we had a terrible time trying to find a tire place that had them to hand. Finally bit the bullet and paid through the nose for them through an RV dealership, so in effect paid for them twice (head bang on not checking they were in place before leaving tire shop that did the install).

Thanks for the heads up Jerry, to be honest we've heard bad and good about so many of the makes, and had to make a decision, Hopefully these will last a lot longer than we've experienced in the past and we are now with more non-working time on our hands, determined to keep focused on maintenance issues for the rig (well what we can do ourselves). Generator HUGE home service and replacement of parts this weekend, and she started up like a dream compared to before. Also replaced starting to leak gasket, engine oil change, filters, spark plugs and the wirings to same. Embarrassed to admit but being totally honest, her first decade with us, she was sadly neglected (putting her in for a paid service regularly clearly wasn't enough) on many fronts due to that blasphemous four letter word "WORK"!

Hubby has been vying for a DP for the past few years, but knows I feel that until we prove we can commit to take care of many of the needed maintenance and do much ourselves on the current Gas we have it's a non-starter. I'm chuffed with just how much hands on stuff we've done with her thanks to support here over the past year or so, from residential fridge, flat screen TV's, solar system, and much more. We started eating the elephant so to speak, one bite at a time, and it's showing in so very many smiling ways.

One thing that makes us very proud though, is how many folks say to us "wow, she's in great shape you'd never guess she was 13 years old", so maybe I'm being a little harder on ourselves than I should be, nonetheless, we are now going to be operating on a fixed income and tighter budget than in the past so we need to make sure we save and preserve what and where we can.

Happy and safe travels to you all as always.

FTW.

Saw an interesting 18 wheeler today.Instead of duals it was running extremely wide tires.
Anyone know anything about these ?Any application for a Motorhome .
I am sure they are way above my paygrade ,but they did look interesting

Probably should have started a new thread but this does fit the topic

Bill

They're called "Super Singles". About the same weight specs, etc., as combined duals, but on a single wide wheel. They offer savings in weight, tire mass, and rolling resistance, but at the cost of having a single point of failure. Some brands do offer a "run flat" version though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived