Solar panel reverse polarity

I bought some used solar panels and found one that had reverse polarity. Has anyone else seen this happen?

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

What is reverse polarity on a solar panel ???

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Probably someone stuck the wires on backwards so the wire marked + is on the negative of the panel.. The diode is to prevent the solar panel from draining your battery at night....kinda like a check valve.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I bought 6 panels and checked them with a DVOM. Five of them are positive on the female plugs and negative on the male. One of them is just the opposite.

I don't know if someone had wired it wrong or if there was some way that it could reverse polarity on its own.

These are 165 watt panels that I believe were taken off houses because the guy I got them from had about 50 of them.

I figured for $150.00 for the 6 I would take a chance. I have four installed and the seem to be doing OK.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Dennis, you ask: "I don't know if someone had wired it wrong or if there was some way that it could reverse polarity on its own."

FWIW I'm going with "someone had it wired wrong" I don't see the physics and electro-chemistry of the panel reversing polarity "ON ITS OWN" that is, but I'm NOT a Solar Panel Engineer or Solar expert.

John T

I'm with John T.....

I'd check it right at the panel - not at the wires. If the panel reads correctly simply reverse the wires and reattach them. Of cut off the MC connectors and wire the old fashioned way. Good thing you checked them, though.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Sounds like you got a very good deal. Was that the total amount or a per panel charge?

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Jack, I checked them when I got them, but didn't notice it was reversed. I checked them pretty quick so I may have missed it. I installed 4 of them and didn't get the output I expected so I checked each one again and found the bad one.

StarDreamers.us That was the total cost for all 6 panels, that's why I thought I couldn't get hurt to bad if one or two were bad.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Dennis, you stated " I checked them when I got them, but didn't notice it was reversed. I checked them pretty quick so I may have missed it. I installed 4 of them and didn't get the output I expected so I checked each one again and found the bad one."

Subject to series or parallel connections, one "bad apple" can certainly cause such problems. I'm MUCH MORE concerned with a mis match in a parallel configuration then I would be if in series (unless a diode prevents current flow altogether), although my preference is that all are matched.

If a diode is present in a series circuit which would prevent reverse current flow, that would prevent charging.

John T NOT a Solar Engineer so no warranty, still my best thoughts however.

Archived