Solar panel reverse polarity

dennisvr

I bought 6 panels and checked them with a DVOM. Five of them are positive on the female plugs and negative on the male. One of them is just the opposite.

I don't know if someone had wired it wrong or if there was some way that it could reverse polarity on its own.

These are 165 watt panels that I believe were taken off houses because the guy I got them from had about 50 of them.

I figured for $150.00 for the 6 I would take a chance. I have four installed and the seem to be doing OK.

Dennis, you ask: "I don't know if someone had wired it wrong or if there was some way that it could reverse polarity on its own."

FWIW I'm going with "someone had it wired wrong" I don't see the physics and electro-chemistry of the panel reversing polarity "ON ITS OWN" that is, but I'm NOT a Solar Panel Engineer or Solar expert.

John T

Jack, I checked them when I got them, but didn't notice it was reversed. I checked them pretty quick so I may have missed it. I installed 4 of them and didn't get the output I expected so I checked each one again and found the bad one.

StarDreamers.us That was the total cost for all 6 panels, that's why I thought I couldn't get hurt to bad if one or two were bad.

Dennis, you stated " I checked them when I got them, but didn't notice it was reversed. I checked them pretty quick so I may have missed it. I installed 4 of them and didn't get the output I expected so I checked each one again and found the bad one."

Subject to series or parallel connections, one "bad apple" can certainly cause such problems. I'm MUCH MORE concerned with a mis match in a parallel configuration then I would be if in series (unless a diode prevents current flow altogether), although my preference is that all are matched.

If a diode is present in a series circuit which would prevent reverse current flow, that would prevent charging.

John T NOT a Solar Engineer so no warranty, still my best thoughts however.

Archived