Getting Set up for full timing

My wife and I will be going full time starting 2nd qtr 2016. We are planning on using the Escapees mail service. What things do we need to consider when getting set up for full timing with regard to mail, vehicle registration and drivers license?

Due to distance we do not plan on coming to Texas except for what we need to for getitng set up. Please let us know what that entails.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Terry Brady

My wife and I will be going full time starting 2nd qtr 2016. We are planning on using the Escapees mail service. What things do we need to consider when getting set up for full timing with regard to mail, vehicle registration and drivers license?

Due to distance we do not plan on coming to Texas except for what we need to for getitng set up. Please let us know what that entails.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Terry Brady

First thing is to sign up for Escapees address. Do this about 6 months before you leave, to make sure you "catch" all your bills etc. before you really leave. At the same time, sign up for online statements etc for all your accounts, so you don't actually GET any more bills in the mail.

Once thats done you can register your vehicles in TX, and then you'll have to physically go there to get your license. If you are hauling a big 5th wheel or driving a larger motorhome, you'll need a special license, and you'll need your rig there to get it.

I am sure others will chime in.....

Sue

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the fulltimer lifestyle! For us it was 12 of the best years of our lives and had health not gotten in the way, we would still be on the road.

I'll just add to what Sue has told you already. If you do not have them, there are two things that I suggest you read before you begin this process and neither one will cost you a thing! The first is to get a copy of the document How To Become A Real Texan and read that over. Then to improve your understanding of the issue of domicile, I also suggest that you read this article on selecting a domicile, which was published in the Escapee Magazine sometime back.

I suggest starting to change all of your mail addresses at least 3 months prior to actually leaving your current one, just to be sure that all important things are changed. Also keep in mind that as you travel you must be aware of the laws of any state where you stay for an extended period or where you accept paid employment. TX is a very RV friendly state. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you both for your responses. We are very much looking forward to this adventure. I am a bit of a worrier and sometimes a little slow in picking up things. I have read both documents and would like to verify a copule of things.

1. do you have to register the vehicles in the county you are claiming as your domicile? We were hoping to "dip" into Texas to register and get driver licenses (Amarillo would be a choice).

2. Sue, I am a little concerned about the potential need for a special license. We purchased a Montana 3850FL 5ht wheel, which is 39'3" long and has a shipping weight of 12,842# and CC of 3,158#. We are using a 2011 F350 6.7 diesel crew cab long bed SRW. Is that enough information to determine if a special license is needed?

3. Is it possible to register the truck and trailer and get our driver license in the same day?

Thanks again for your responses,

Terry

Thank you both for your responses. We are very much looking forward to this adventure. I am a bit of a worrier and sometimes a little slow in picking up things. I have read both documents and would like to verify a copule of things.

1. do you have to register the vehicles in the county you are claiming as your domicile? We were hoping to "dip" into Texas to register and get driver licenses (Amarillo would be a choice).

2. Sue, I am a little concerned about the potential need for a special license. We purchased a Montana 3850FL 5ht wheel, which is 39'3" long and has a shipping weight of 12,842# and CC of 3,158#. We are using a 2011 F350 6.7 diesel crew cab long bed SRW. Is that enough information to determine if a special license is needed?

3. Is it possible to register the truck and trailer and get our driver license in the same day?

Thanks again for your responses,

Terry

At a glance I would say that you DO need the Class A exempt license. Getting it requires that you pass a written test and bring your rig to TX so you can take the road test portion. Jack is good at that math- maybe he'll chime in.

Heres the description of the different classes. Sorry, I am on my ipad, which makes links challenging, and searches more difficult.

http://dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

When you go for the license test they will ask, and make you swear that all your vehicles are already registered in TX, so you need to do that first.

You do NOT need to be in TX to register your vehicles, so no worries about getting there for that.

It can all be done through the mail. Call Polk County and they will walk you through the process and tell you how much to write the check for. In fact, call them, just to set your mind at ease now about what the process is.

It can seem overwhelming and confusing, but we have all had to make the transition, and we all survived it!

Just keep asking questions until you have it all clear in your head.

RIP Dozey

And you do have to go to the county that will be your domicile to register your vehicles at some point in time but not immediately. While driver's licenses are issued by the state and can be done at any office, vehicle registrations are by county & state and part of the fee is a county fee so you must go to the county that you will be registered in, but it can be done prior to arrival and completed when you get there. These questions are very common for the folks in the office at Livingston so I strongly suggest that you call them and explain what you wish to do and they will be happy to help you and guide you. They have employees who specialize in dealing with this change. You can not register a vehicle to Polk county from the office in Amarillo.

For Tax Billing Information and Auto Registration:
Tax Assessor's Office
416 N. Washington
Livingston, TX. 77351
936-327-6801

And you do have to go to the county that will be your domicile to register your vehicles at some point in time but not immediately. While driver's licenses are issued by the state and can be done at any office, vehicle registrations are by county & state and part of the fee is a county fee so you must go to the county that you will be registered in, but it can be done prior to arrival and completed when you get there. These questions are very common for the folks in the office at Livingston so I strongly suggest that you call them and explain what you wish to do and they will be happy to help you and guide you. They have employees who specialize in dealing with this change. You can not register a vehicle to Polk county from the office in Amarillo.

For Tax Billing Information and Auto Registration:Tax Assessor's Office

416 N. Washington

Livingston, TX. 77351

936-327-6801

Kirk, I'm confused by your wording. Yes, vehicles have to be registered in your specific county but you do not have to GO there to do it,.

I have literally never gone to TX to register any of our 4 vehicles. ALL of them have been registered through the mail after talking to Polk County on the phone.

case in point- we have been in AZ for 6 months, bought a Jeep 2 months ago and registered it by mail. Have no plans to go to Livingston. We haven't been there in 4 years.

What WILL eventually be done is the vehicle inspection, but it only needs to be done if we HAPPEN to go into TX, and then can be done anywhere.

Sue

RIP Dozey

Kirk, I'm confused by your wording.

If you actually move your domicile, it is much more than just registering your vehicles and getting a driving license in TX. While you may never have any problems in leaving all other activities in the place where you used to live, if you should happen to be challenged in court, it isn't likely to be upheld. Here is a definition from "The Law Dictionary" followed by an example from "NOLO Law for All."

That place in which a man has voluntarily fixed the habitation of himself and family, not for a mere special or temporary purpose, but with the present intention of making a permanent home, until some unexpected event shall occur to induce him to adopt some other permanent home.

Factors That Affect Domicile

Some factors that indicate where you’re domiciled include where you live, vote, register your car, and where your spouse and children live. But domicile is fundamentally a question of your intent—which state do you consider your permanent home?

Example: Harry and Simone have lived in New Jersey most of their lives. They’ve owned their New Jersey house for 30 years, their tax returns list their New Jersey address, and their wills declare that they’re residents of New Jersey. But they now spend six months of the year in Florida, own a house in a resort community there, vote there, and have a car registered there. Where is their legal domicile? If there’s a legal battle, the outcome will depend on evidence of which one they consider their permanent home. Unless they’ve transferred most of their important activities (see below) to Florida, there’s probably not enough evidence to show that they intended to change their domicile from New Jersey to Florida.

And you do have to go to the county that will be your domicile to register your vehicles at some point in time but not immediately.

so you must go to the county that you will be registered in, but it can be done prior to arrival and completed when you get there.

I am still confused. I understand your thoughts on domicile, but the question answered was re: registration of vehicles ans you seem to be saying he will have to GO to Polk County to register them, or it can be ""completed when you get there." There is nothing to complete in person re: registration of vehicles, and no need to set foot in TX to get them registered. At all. Domicile is a much more complex issue as we both know.

Sue

RIP Dozey

I am still confused.

In my first response, it clearly states to call the Livingston office and they will guide you. I believe that is still the best advice and continue to state that. I'm sorry that you were confused by my other comments, but that is the key point.

Archived