RVing and bike trails

RV Triking

Best national park for bike riding is, believe it or not, Grand Canyon! They have miles of wide, paved bike trails that go through the woods and even along the canyon edge. In addition, shuttles have bike racks on their front ends, although I am not sure a recumbent bike will fit there.

Also, Heaton Bay Campground in Frisco, Colorado, is on a paved bike trail that goes 20 miles around a gorgeous lake and through a couple of very pleasant ski towns at 9,000 ' elevation. It is part of the White River National Forest near Breckenridge . Some sites do have electric. All have gorgeous views.

Both of these campgrounds are directly on the bike trails!

One of my favorites for recumbent riding is theTrail of the Coeur d'Alenes along I-90 in NW Idaho. We have stayed a couple of times at Blue Anchor RV Park in Osburn ID. The trail is just across the highway from the park. I went to the end of the trail uphill to the East, and also many miles to the West. My only regret was I didn't cover it all ...maybe another time.

Washington DC has great bicycle trails. RV Parks are a bit scarce, but I rode almost all of the trails when I lived in the area. Same for Dayton OH ...I rode from Dayto to Cincinatti a few times, and al around Dayton. Albuquerque has some good ones too, but again few if any close parks. The one we stayed at on Campbell just up the street from the Bosque trail was pretty much long term only. ...the Ballon Fiesta park is at the end of one part of the network.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

I thought of another good one for biking. Durango Colorado. If you stay at the United Campground, there are many options. There is a free shuttle every 20 minutes that picks up right outside the CG and drops off a number of places, including a grocery store, and downtown Durango. Comes in handy if you want to do a night thing and don't want to drive. And.... you can ride down the little or no traffic road outside the campground toward town and pick up a paved path along the Animas river. This path is in grey on Google Maps.

If you are up for a good workout, head away from town on the road. There is a full 6 or 8' shoulder all the way to the Purgatory ski resort. ( I guess they changed the name .....someone was "offended" by the old name). As a cyclist myself, I have ridden all over the west, Colorado is very bike friendly. There is no honking, no flipping the IQ sign, never been buzzed....even the semi trucks move over a bit for you in Colorado.

Also, I love Gunnison Colorado. The KOA is the place to stay. Dave, the owner is a hoot. The whole town is made of Mayberry like neighborhood streets. All the shops are mom and pop, and mom and/or pop are there working the shop. There is at least one farmers market a week, a real one, where locals are selling the best baked stuff and garden bounty.....no professional flee market types. Also, ride up the road 28 miles on a smooth paved road with 8' shoulder all the way to Crested Butte (1500 ft climb) and they have their farmers market as well.

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

RV Triking…

Ah, we too, liked the idea of parking at a campground and then rolling right onto a paved bike trail. Here are some of the ones we have cycled. After you compile your list, maybe you’d consider sharing it with others.

Waveland, MS. Stay at Bucaneer State Park. Bay-Waveland Beach Trail. Short 4 mile (one-way) connecting to the Bay of St. Louis Bridge. You’ll need to cycle 1 mile along the beach to connect to the trail.

Damascus, VA. Virginia Creeper Trail. Trail is accessible from an RV park downtown Damascus. 35 miles one way. Gorgeous trail!

Lexington, KY. Stay at Kentucky Horse Park to access the 12 mile Legacy trail into Lexington.

Petoskey, Michigan. Stay at Magnus Park. Little Traverse Wheelway (LTW). So so bike ride but the park sits right on the lake.

Grand Rapids, MN. Stay at Itasca State Park and cycle part of the the Mesabi Trail.

Wallace, ID. RV park sits right on the trailhead for the Trail of the Coeur d’Alene.

Grand Canyon National Park South. Cyclists allowed on the bus-only road that takes you to the tip of the park. Nice ride up and better ride down. Wheeee…..

Connie and Art

2016 Leisure Travel Van Serenity S24CB

Archived