Shocks for a 5th wheel

Det107

A friend of ours has a Jaco 40' 5th wheel and found that there were holes for shocks but no shocks. While traveling through Utah they had a tire replaced and the shop mgr. said the RV would pull better and be less stressful on the tires and contents in the RV. if he put shocks on the unit. They were not very expensive and it did make a difference. Has anyone found that they have places for shocks and no shocks? I haven't checked our Montana to see.

I would say shocks should be part of the running gear. BUT......the shocks on these trailers, or most of them anyway are built so they are on a angle of about 120 degrees plus, almost laying flat. This does nothing for a shock. The optimum shock angle to get the full effect of a shock is 9 degrees. Again another blunder that these builders are doing, and doing it every day for years. Shocks are built to go up and down not sideways!

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

I had shocks on the first Carrilite we had. It towed well and we never had anything really move around in it. The current Carrilite is set up with the Moryde LE system and seems to do alright. We do have stuff move in the cabinets but nothing fall out or doors open.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived