Rustproof frame?

We did some touch-up on our frames over the years, never a full rust-proofing job.

What are your rails treated with now and what were you thinking of using as rust-proofing?

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Most if not all RV frames are powder coated. ...... powder coat is abrasion, corrosion and chemical resistant. This does not mean that it will not crack, peel, chip, scratch, or corrode. It just means that it is more resistant than some other finishes. There has been a misconception that powder coat is crack, chip, peel, abrasion, corrosion, and chemical proof. That is sadly not the case. Powder coating is stronger than paint but given the environment it is subjected to, it can only resist so much.

Our Rv has never seen winter or high salt areas and rust on the frame is practically nonexistent..

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

On our motorhome that we were full-time in for 11+ years, I did have the entire thing undercoated and that was pretty effective and could be on a trailer too if done well with high quality materials. While that sort of thing does look nice, in all of my years of RV travels, I can't remember ever hearing of a structural problem that was caused by rusting of the RV frame. I'm sure that it might happen if you were in a place where things are exposed to salt air all of or most of the time, but I can't recall hearing of that issue either. I really think that most of us who have done things in the area of frames have done so mostly for cosmetic reasons.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I see by your avatar that you have a 5th wheel, what I did with ours is clean and paint the pin area and any frame that can be seen with Rustolium and the rest I used rubberized black undercoating. We have a white frame so any exposed frame areas showed up rust.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

• 2 weeks later...

Archived