Loaded the Smart Car, in the toy hauler for the 1st time today.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Well, it fits and there is still plenty of room for a Ural sidecar rig or two full size street bikes, gotta LOVE a huge garage. :D

Last week I ordered some ratchet binders and some loading straps that had a ring on one end, this works really well and its EASY. Pass the strap through the wheel, then pass it through the ring, pull it snug, put the strap into the ratchet binder and wind it tight, do this on all four wheels and its, DONE.

Sorry I was so busy building short step ramps out of 2"x12" treated lumber I plum forgot to take any photos. To decrease the ramp angle I took a 12 foot long 2x12 board and cut it into pieces, bottom piece 3 feet long on top of that a piece 2 feet long on top of that a piece 1 foot long, screwed them all together and this made a nice little ramp that when slipped under the end of the ramp raised it about 6 inches this was enough to reduce the ramp angle where I could drive up it with out bottoming the front bumper. I drilled a couple of holes through the ramp and installed some bolts that stick out the back an inch and a half, this bolts then go into holes drilled on the wooden ramps that locate them and keep them from slipping out of place when driving up or down.

So now I think I'll paint them, mix some sand into the paint so they aren't slippery that should make it easier to get up them it they get wet. I think the next thing I am going to do is paint a line on the floor of the toy hauler to use as a guide when driving into or backing out of the garage that should make it easier to keep the car centered making the tie down job simpler and backing out a lot easier to do to insure hitting the ramps squarely.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave:

Just asking because I do know, but, are you exceeding the weight limit of the garage?

Jim

Howdy Jim,

From what I have been told, I am well within the garage floor limits, loading the Smart Car first, puts darn near all of its weight directly over the axles, thats rounded off 1,900 pounds, the Ural loaded next is 900 pounds, so a total of 2,800 pounds of cargo, the trailer is rated to carry 4,700 pounds of cargo. Last year when I had the truck-trailer weight at the National Rally, one of the things I wanted to make sure of was that I had the capacity to haul what I wanted to haul, the scales showed that I could, I have since up graded to 17.5 wheels and commercial grade tries so I feel confident that I can safely do what I want to do.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• 5 months later...

Mr Cob....is that you I see driving through Quartzsite on your Ural these days?

Howdy Jim,

Nope, wasn't me. I am currently staying with friends in Truth or Consequences NM, leaving tomorrow morning and headed toward Hespria CA where I'll spend a few days with friends before starting the long slog north on I-5 to my home in Washington. My plan is to make it home a day or two before Thanksgiving, weather and road conditions permitting.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived