Recovering dead batteries

Ok guys and gals I have an issue with batteries. A golfcart I just picked up wit 6----8volt batteries took a whole gal of distilled water to fill back to normal 3 of them the water was below the plates and now I find the charger is not working.

Is there any special way to try to recover these batteries. The plates on the dry ones looked pretty cruddy and stuff floated to the top when I filled them. I dont really want to see $1000 go for new batteries due to somebodys screwup by not maintaining fluid levels ! TIA

Jim

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you can do without getting really drastic.. and even then they would, more thank likely, be very highly unreliable. You might try flushing them out several times, then fill them completely and put them on an equalize charge of 15-15.5v for about 4 hours. You might get them to hold a bit, but there is no magic solution to reviving the dead. ;)

Ok how do I get 15.5 volts into either an 8 volt battery or a 48 volt system ? :huh: P.S. I walk on water :P

I do remember in my younger years we would put baking soda and water in motorcycle batteries flush them out real good and then refill with acid from a good 12v battery

Jim Spence

Ok how do I get 15.5 volts into either an 8 volt battery or a 48 volt system ? :huh: P.S. I walk on water :P

I do remember in my younger years we would put baking soda and water in motorcycle batteries flush them out real good and then refill with acid from a good 12v battery

If you don't have a charger capable of an equalize charge you could take them into your local battery shop and have them do it. I would probably only take in a couple of the worst ones and see if it makes a significant improvement. Remembering that your battery bank will only function as well as the worst cell in the group.

Some folks have seen some amount of success with a flush and re-filling with a distilled and epsom salt solution. 4 parts H2O 1 part epsoms.

Getting drastic.. you can cut the tops off and manually clean the plates, but you'll still only end up with a mediocre battery that could short/fail on you at any given moment. I don't recommend it. :blink:

HI

"WOW". Drain and refill, sounds pretty drastic not to mention dangerous! From what you say I would say they have "sulfated" You need a 4 stage charger that finally ends up on a desulfasion mode. you have done the right thing filling them back up with distilled water. I have had good success with a "Battery Minder Battery Charger/Maintainer/ Full time De-Sulfator-Conditioner.

I don't live in the 8vt. world and I doubt my unit would work on your 8 volt system, however I would suggest you call the factory and get there input before you do anything else! VDC ELECTRONICS @ 800-379-5579 (et) WWW.vdcelectronics.com

There are many many members using this equipment with great success. This machine Model12248 runs about $120.

I personally have brought back batteries that had been pronounced dead, junk. Your standard battery charger can't do the steps that need to be done. I keep my batteries on a Battery Minder when they might sit for extended periods of time 3 to 4 wks. or more. By doing this you will seriously extend the life of your batteries.

GOOD LUCK

&

HAPPY TRAILS

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

You might try using Battery Equalizer. I have never even known anyone who has used this product, but it might be worth a try.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

You might try using Battery Equalizer. I have never even known anyone who has used this product, but it might be worth a try.

I need to see how old these batteries are before I do much of anything. This cart is the only one that has 8 volt batteries all the rest use 6 volt. My thought are still back aways on cutting the top off of a battery. Maybe put gorilla tape on it to seal it and put it in a ziploc bag ? Maybe cut the top off with a cutting torch ? Joking !! But it sure would solve the situation :D

Actually I'm wondering how the camp hosts would enjoy walking for a week being as they didn't take the time to check the cells. Rayin I like your idea for a trial.

One other question is. Could this amount have evaporated through the winter ? The cart sat since last Sept

Jim Spence

Could this amount have evaporated through the winter ? The cart sat since last Sept

That is highly unlikely. Water loss generally happens through the charging process. Just sitting idle shouldn't produce enough psi to off-gas to that extent. More likely is that they went through repeated charging cycles when actively in use, but no one bothered to check the water levels on a regular basis.

On another note, it's pretty rough on a battery to be sitting idle for that long without a maintenance charge (typically losing 15% charge every 30 days.. and more during cold temperatures).. so you might have lost them anyway. If they WERE on a maintenance charge throughout the winter, then it's possible that they might have gotten cooked off by a faulty battery tender.. but that's pretty darn rare.

I would say.. make'm hoof it. :P

I'd bet the batteries are dead but you could fool with them a bit and make sure they are. Check each battery and see how much voltage each one is showing, any down far enough to indicate a shorted cell are toast. With 8 volt batteries it is really hard to find a charger that will do any good for a single one as most chargers will be 12, 24 or 48 volts.

Usually what happens when the water gets that low is the plates warp and cause a shorted / dead cell which isn't fixable.

Once you get them working or replaced put on a battery watering system and a big "DISTILLED WATER ONLY" sign to make it easier for the users to keep them topped up.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I agree with Stan - they are most likely shot. FOr the reasons he and others stated. IF you want to invest in a desulfator that will work on your 48 volt system or get an 8 volt version then that is worth a try. But it likely will not work, or, as stated, result in a bank that is pretty pitiful. Nothing you would want to depend on.

It is good to keep them on a maintenance charge for the winter and make sure they go into the winter topped up. We keep a maintenance sheet for all our equipment and it is checked off as the guys do the work. And I check the sheet and make sure it gets done (including my stuff). On each golf cart we use painters tape by the batteries and indicate when it was checked and by whom. Initialed. Each cart is checked once a month.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

These carts are supposed to be checked monthly, the charger was plugged in several times throughout the winter but I don't read any voltage at the charger so I'm thinking this is going to take a new charger also. I guess now is not the time to ask for a raise ! :o It's a shame about these batteries they have the caps for a watering system except all the plumbing is gone, Who knows where that went.

Jim Spence

If you have a shorted cell or two the charger may not be seeing enough voltage to activate it.

Got enough 12 volt batteries to make up a 48 volt bank that you could BRIEFLY hook it to?

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived