Microsoft Has Suddenly Gotten Serious With Mobile

RV_

OMG!

MS is showing up on a lot of Android phones and . . . Gasp! . . . iPhones?? Hey these are only the beginning. In the past I laughed at online storage because I did not trust the companies or their long term prospects to stay in business. And I really laughed at the idea of paying a little month forever for Office 365. But then they started offering the family plan for up to five devices OF EACH TYPE! Yep I just called and confirmed it. This is so new that MS has not updated the webpages to reflect the free unlimited one drive storage with ever Office 365 subscription.

Those of you backing up to the cloud heard lots of resistance from to that, but that was in posts here three years ago. (Yes it has been that long) OK, I was wrong about doing cloud storage of anything but remain unconvinced about masking/restoring system images and restoring entire systems from the cloud. But to have all my docs saved to the cloud for everything and available on everything, well that is a horse of a different color for me today. Once my current Office Home and Biz 2010 gets too long in the tooth, I just might go subscription, and save 20 bucks by paying the $99.99/year up front. Most of my 20 TB of storage scattered across 15 drives ranging in size from three 2TB 3.5" drives down to two 320GB 2.5" internal drives that I access via drive docks on my desks, and portable drive cases. I could drop down to just three or four big drives locally and store the rest on One Drive. Hey, unlimited is about to meet its match when I do.

How can they do this? They are writing Apps that are spectacular in use and simplicity. While I prefer my Windows phone, you folks on Android and iOS can get the same bennies as me and my Windows phone now. This IS new. I found out about it from the NY Times article below.

Excerpt:

"MICROSOFT is suddenly a powerful presence on my phone.

Yes, you read that right. This is the same Microsoft that spent almost a half-decade trying to offer a credible alternative to Apple’s iPhone and mobile devices running Google’s Android. And it’s the same Microsoft that paid more than $7 billion to buy Nokia’s once-mighty handset business, only to see its mobile business sink further. The company now clings precariously to a 3 percent share of new smartphone sales.

Make no mistake, Microsoft still wants its mobile operating system, Windows, to be the software in our smartphones. But mobile developers continue to focus on making apps for Apple or Android devices instead, making Windows phones an increasingly hard sell.

That reality has finally sunk in at Microsoft, and a new strategy is afoot. When Satya Nadella, Microsoft’s chief executive, took the top job at the company about a year ago, he signaled that the company’s priorities were shifting. Microsoft, he said, was in a “mobile-first, cloud-first world.”

Since then, the company has brought more of its apps and services to the Apple and Android devices people actually use, rather than the ones Microsoft would like them to use — those that run Windows.

What’s even more surprising is that Microsoft’s heart seems to be in the effort.

Over the last several months, Microsoft has been taking up more and more space on my own iPhone’s home screen. I’ve installed mobile versions of its Office apps as well as OneDrive, the company’s answer to Dropbox, Google Drive and other cloud storage services.

For the last couple of weeks, I have also relied heavily on Microsoft’s latest mobile creation, Outlook for the iPhone. (It’s available on Android, too; both versions are free for personal use.) Outlook is an email and calendar app that bears a resemblance to the PC version of the software, but mostly just in name. Instead of trying to jam all the features of the PC version into the app, Outlook is thoughtfully tailored for how people use email on smartphones.

The new Outlook is not Microsoft’s work, exactly. The app is mostly a rebranding of Acompli, an existing app made by a start-up that Microsoft acquired in December for $200 million. But there is no shame in using acquisitions to inject new talent and technology into a company. Facebook, Google and Amazon all employ a similar strategy.

The fact that Microsoft released the new Outlook in late January, when the ink was barely dry on its Acompli deal, is a clear sign of how quickly the company feels it needs to move in the mobile business. Last week, the company bought the maker of Sunrise, a popular mobile calendar app, suggesting that Microsoft has no plans to let up on its deal-making.

Until it released its new mail app, Microsoft offered OWA for iPhone and Android. The name stands for Outlook Web Access, and as the name suggests, the app was essentially a shortcut to a web page and lacked the performance and richness of a native mobile app.

The new Outlook is everything its predecessor was not — snappy and, for people who are heavy email users on mobile, a genuine improvement on the standard Apple email app that comes on every iPhone.

“People end up looking at their email client many, many times a day, but they do it in short bursts,” said Javier Soltero, the general manager of Outlook at Microsoft and the former chief executive of Acompli. “For us, the average session length is about 24 seconds. How do you make that 24 seconds most productive?”

Outlook’s answer is to use software algorithms to automatically divide emails into two queues: Focused and Other. Put simply, Focused is supposed to give me the messages I’ll want to look at in those 24-second glances, while Other is stuff I might want to look at later or not at all.

It would be easy to dismiss Outlook as a fluke if Microsoft were not also making so many other credible mobile apps. Early last year, it finally released high-quality versions of its main Office apps — Word, Excel and PowerPoint — for iPhone, iPad and their Android variants. Then the company made nearly complete versions of the apps free.

Microsoft is still hoping to get people to upgrade to a paid subscription to Office 365, which costs $6.99 a month to use Office on a single smartphone, tablet and PC or Mac. Households that want to share a subscription for Office on up to five devices of each type pay $9.99 a month.

There are excellent free productivity apps on mobile and PCs from Google, Apple and others, and the prospect of those apps chipping away at its Office business is terrifying for Microsoft.

But Microsoft has sweetened its Office 365 deal by including unlimited online storage through OneDrive, its cloud storage service.

That’s not a misprint. You can create an online copy of all of your pictures, videos, music and other files in the cloud, with no limits. One terabyte of online storage costs $19.99 from Apple’s iCloud service, while Dropbox and Google each charge $9.99 a month.

I can’t imagine personally needing much more than a terabyte of online backup — it is more than 300,000 photos or 1,000 hours of video. But I might get there someday as the resolution in cameras increases. It’s comforting to know I have a copy of all my data in case my computer is stolen, destroyed in a fire or just conks out.

A OneDrive app on my iPhone automatically backs up everything I shoot with the phone’s camera. Its integration with Office is seamless, too.

The other day, my daughter put together a birthday tribute to her mother in the form of a PowerPoint presentation. She composed it on a Mac, which automatically backed it up to OneDrive. We went to a restaurant, my daughter opened PowerPoint on my iPhone 6 Plus and did the presentation right there at our table.

My wife was in tears — and it would have not have been possible using Microsoft products a little over a year ago."

For more and the additional links in the original article go here: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/technology/personaltech/microsoft-has-suddenly-gotten-serious-with-mobile.html?emc=edit_ct_20150219&nl=technology&nlid=36852580

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived