WiFiRanger limited time 15% discount code

docj

Although WiFiRanger has worked hard to ensure that the new Phantom firmware (7.0.1) is backwards compatible with all older WFR routers, some of those will be pushed to the limit to handle the new software. Don't get me wrong, the older ones will work, but you may appreciate the performance improvement of a router with a more powerful processor and more ROM.

If you're interested in upgrading, WiFiRanger has a limited time 15% discount offer in place on any item from its current product line. Just enter PHANTOM15 as the discount code during checkout. The offer ends February 28.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Upgraded from the GO they swapped out for my first generation unit (one with the bac chips in them), to the GO2.

So for those of you looking into buying a unit - sure sign now that I've gone to the GO2 (Appreciated the discount:)!). A new product will be to market soon... (My way of helping fellow RV'ers, buying a product is always the best way to know for sure that a 'new and improved' product is coming out soon!)

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Both my original Go unit and the X Router (beta unit I was given during the beta test) do not work well any more. Neither will even take the latest firmware update. I have found the Mobile unit took the update and works fine as a stand alone wireless router. I was and still am somewhat disappointed with the inside routers. I do not see a reason to send good money after bad to buy another inside unit to replace these 2 units that never did work as advertised for me. If WIFi Ranger wanted to send a new Go2 unit to replace these 2 units I would upgrade and try it, but otherwise I have other priorities to spend money on.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Both my original Go unit and the X Router (beta unit I was given during the beta test) do not work well any more. Neither will even take the latest firmware update. I have found the Mobile unit took the update and works fine as a stand alone wireless router. I was and still am somewhat disappointed with the inside routers. I do not see a reason to send good money after bad to buy another inside unit to replace these 2 units that never did work as advertised for me. If WIFi Ranger wanted to send a new Go2 unit to replace these 2 units I would upgrade and try it, but otherwise I have other priorities to spend money on.

Both of those units are capable of being updated; if they are giving you problems the Customer Support folks at WFR can assist. The new software does run fine on them; it is simply a bit slow because of the processor capability and the limited memory. Please open a trouble ticket on the WFR website if you would like them to help with your update. If the Mobile is working well for you with the newly updated software, I think you will find that the other routers will work just as well once they are updated if you would let someone assist you with the process. WiFiRanger routers have steadily improved over the more than four years since I bought my first one; this new update provides a substantial improvement in capabilities and stability.

WiFiRanger has made a significant effort to maintain compatibility with its older products and this new firmware update. This is not an easy task since the oldest products are now ~4 years old and that is a couple of lifetimes in the digital world. Most of us are quite familiar with learning that our "older" electronic devices are no longer being supported by their manufacturers, but even when they are supported you cannot expect them to have the same performance as newer units that incorporate older hardware. I have two laptops running with Intel Core i7 processors that were nearly top of the line at the time they were manufactured but are from two different generations (4th vs 3rd); the performance difference is dramatic.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Warning, if you have the older GO unit, Do not upgrade the Firmware.

I have the GO and the Mobile system in my RV and have been using it for a couple of years. I have upgraded it, as new firmware became available. So when the new 7.0.1 came out I upgraded it.

After that the unit kept rebooting. I contacted tech support and am being told that the only way to fix the problem is to upgrade to the GO2 and am only being offered a 15% discount.

Sorry, if the new firmware will not work on the older unit, I should have been told in advance.

I cannot afford to be without a router for a couple of weeks to send it back to fix a problem Wifiranger created.

2005 New Horizons 36ft 5th/upgrades-Generator, Disk Brakes, Solar Package, Inverter. and more
2008 Ford F450 crew cab DRW

K3ROY
http://www.roanontheroad.blogspot.com/

Warning, if you have the older GO unit, Do not upgrade the Firmware.

I have the GO and the Mobile system in my RV and have been using it for a couple of years. I have upgraded it, as new firmware became available. So when the new 7.0.1 came out I upgraded it.

After that the unit kept rebooting. I contacted tech support and am being told that the only way to fix the problem is to upgrade to the GO2 and am only being offered a 15% discount.

Sorry, if the new firmware will not work on the older unit, I should have been told in advance.

I cannot afford to be without a router for a couple of weeks to send it back to fix a problem Wifiranger created.

I'm not sure why you were told that the new software won't run on the Go. It will and there are plenty of people who have upgraded Go's and even older Pro's and Home units. The software does work BETTER on the Go2 than on the Go, but that's not the same thing.

If you need to send the Go back to WFR, you should be able to use the Mobile by itself to handle your network needs. If you are powering the Mobile from the Go, just get a Power Over Ethernet (POE) adapter to provide the power while the Go is gone. They are inexpensive.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

With the elite you don't necessarily need a go2 do you?

The issue of whether or not you need a Go2 is no different with the Elite than it was with the Mobile and Sky. If you need a USB port to tether a MiFi or a phone that is one reason for needing a Go2. If you need easy to access Ethernet ports for network devices that lack built-in wifi, that is another reason. If you want to maximize the throughput of your internet wifi connection then you might want to implement a two-radio solution in which the Elite's radio is used exclusively to communicate with the wifi access point and the Go2 is used to communicate to the devices in your network. If none of these reasons applies to you, then the Elite by itself will probably be an acceptable solution.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I'm not sure why you were told that the new software won't run on the Go. It will and there are plenty of people who have upgraded Go's and even older Pro's and Home units. The software does work BETTER on the Go2 than on the Go, but that's not the same thing.

If you need to send the Go back to WFR, you should be able to use the Mobile by itself to handle your network needs. If you are powering the Mobile from the Go, just get a Power Over Ethernet (POE) adapter to provide the power while the Go is gone. They are inexpensive.

Tried to send you a PM but received a message "Cannot receive a PM message"

2005 New Horizons 36ft 5th/upgrades-Generator, Disk Brakes, Solar Package, Inverter. and more

K3ROY

Tried to send you a PM but received a message "Cannot receive a PM message"

I have no idea why that is the case since I received several as recently as last week. In the meantime I did check with WFR, despite this being a holiday, and they re-confirmed that the new firmware runs on all older routers. In fact on some products the 7.0.1 software run better than the previous version.

It's possible that what the Customer Service person was trying to tell you was that since returning your Go for upgrading will result in some out-of-pocket costs you might want to consider upgrading by purchasing a new Go2 at the discounted price. Returning the Go for updating will cost you $30 for servicing and return postage plus the cost of shipping to WFR.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I have no idea why that is the case since I received several as recently as last week. In the meantime I did check with WFR, despite this being a holiday, and they re-confirmed that the new firmware runs on all older routers. In fact on some products the 7.0.1 software run better than the previous version.

It's possible that what the Customer Service person was trying to tell you was that since returning your Go for upgrading will result in some out-of-pocket costs you might want to consider upgrading by purchasing a new Go2 at the discounted price. Returning the Go for updating will cost you $30 for servicing and return postage plus the cost of shipping to WFR.

Joel

Am I doing something wrong?

When I try to send you a PM I click on your name, click on " send a message" box and put in the text.

I receive the following:

The following errors were found

The member docj cannot receive any new messages

This personal message has not been sent

Roy

K3ROY

Am I doing something wrong?

When I try to send you a PM I click on your name, click on " send a message" box and put in the text.

I receive the following:

The following errors were found

The member docj cannot receive any new messages

This personal message has not been sent

Roy

Try it again now; it should work. Apparently, I was at my message limit but there's no notification of that unless you look. In addition to your device's ID please include your contact information including email address.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Thanks for posting the discount code Docj. I've been waiting to purchase this system after I heard of the upgrades and testing being done. Looking forward to installing and using it..

George

George and Ann Marie

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS, 640W of Solar

2012 Ram 3500, DRW, Cummins, Big Horn, Q20, Retrax Pro

Retired US Army

Archived