Shocks -- should it really be this cheap and easy?

Nuke-E

After doing a little bit of reading here and here, I decided to replace my front shocks. I won't know for a few days how much better it will ride, but the old shocks collapsed under their own weight--no real damping at all. And that's with only 230K miles on the truck (I'm assuming they were original). I paid a few bucks extra to get 2-day delivery from Amazon (the shocks were $65 each with shipping, compared to about $50+shipping elsewhere) for the same Monroe shocks Randy used.

With a 15/16" socket on an impact wrench and another wrench to hold the other end, removal and installation was literally 5 minutes. Didn't take the wheel off, raise the truck, etc.--just reach over the tire to get the bottom bolt, and the top one is in plain sight just below eye level.

Interestingly, my 14,600lb axle uses the same shock as Randy's truck did--a Volvo 20433424, or Monroe 65494.

20150210_131547.jpg

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Nice David. When I had my king pins done was going to replace mine also but the suspension shop said they were okay. Thinking of replacing them anyway. How did you find the part number for your truck for Monroes?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The part number is stamped on the OE Volvo shock. Class8TruckParts has listings for several Monroe parts with Volvo cross references, and I'm sure there are others. In my case, the Volvo number was the same as Randy's, so he had done the hard part for me.

From what I can tell, they're not much different than the shocks on a car in terms of lifetime. Especially with as cheap and easy as it is, they should probably be replaced every 100K-150K miles or so.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

The part number is stamped on the OE Volvo shock. Class8TruckParts has listings for several Monroe parts with Volvo cross references, and I'm sure there are others. In my case, the Volvo number was the same as Randy's, so he had done the hard part for me.

From what I can tell, they're not much different than the shocks on a car in terms of lifetime. Especially with as cheap and easy as it is, they should probably be replaced every 100K-150K miles or so.

Thanks

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived