Water Heater Sparker Wire?

Hello all, it seems i have a bad wire on my water heater. When the heater starts to fire off it will click and not stay on. I then go out and wiggle the red wire thats connected to a box that looks like a control box and the other end is the sparker that is attatched to the inside area of the flam tube.

After said wiggle the heater will fire and work fine for a few days then this process repeats.

My questions. Has anyone ever replaced this wire? Do you have to replace the whole box or is there any kind of replacement wire?

Thanks in advance.

I suggest that you replace the entire ignition probe. It comes with the lead attached and that lead is a high voltage one and has different insulation than found on ordinary wire. In addition, there is a good chance that your probe is actually the problem as they do wear out and fail in time. The cost of one is typically between $25 & $45 and it will likely need to be done anyway. You can find them at most any RV parts seller or on the internet from parts houses or Amazon. You do need to match the make and model of water heater.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If it is a atwood water heater then there is a little 1/4" head screw that is holding the electrode bracket to the burner tube. With the burner off loosen that screw and tighten it a few times. it causes the spark probe not to sense flame and shut the gas off to the heater.

Safe Travels, Vern

Archived