Boondocking on the East Side of Yuma?

LindaH

As we were coming into Yuma on I-8, headed west, shortly after coming down Gila Mountain, we noticed a bunch of RVs parked in the desert along the south side of the Interstate. Looking at Google Maps, if you take Exit 14 (Foothills Blvd./S Ave 13 E), go south to the Frontage Road and head east past the last housing development, you'll come to the area I'm talking about (Google Maps shows RVs parked here).

I checked the Day's End listings, but didn't see anything listed for that area of Yuma. Anyone know anything about this area? Is it BLM, Arizona State Trust Land, or...?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

This is a little vague but it's a link to the BLM's Yuma District map of BLM land.

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/az/images/camping.Par.80518.File.dat/DispersedCamping.pdf

I'm not able to correlate your description of that area with the map but perhaps you can. I'm about 1200 miles north right now (darn it).

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

WDR...Thanks for the map, but it's not detailed enough to figure out if the parcel of land I'm talking about is BLM. I'd need a detailed map of the Yuma area to figure that out.

I suspect it may be State Trust Land, but I've never been able to find a map of State Trust Land that was any more detailed than the BLM map you linked to, or even any descriptions of where such Trust Lands may be.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Linda, as far as I know this is BLM area. I'll see if I can find more info. I mentioned this area in a post on the forum a week or two ago. We are sort of close to that location and they have been parking there for years.

Bob, I found this site that shows it may be State Trust Land (scroll down to the 4th map): http://www.rv-camping.org/YumaAZ.html

The arrow is farther away from the Interstate than we saw RVs parked, so I'm not sure whether there are two different areas there, one BLM and one State Trust land, or not. Still searching for an answer!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I found this map on the AZLand.gov website:

http://gis.azland.gov/webapps/parcel/

If you zoom in on the Fortuna Foothills area east of Yuma, the area we saw is close to I-8 (between the Frontage Road and the wash to the south), north of Las Barrancas Golf Course and west of S Ave 15 E. If this map is correct, the area in question is neither BLM (yellow) nor State Trust Land (blue)!

(You can find the area on Google Maps at 32.663757, -114.390984)

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

This question came up in a discussion with other RVers in Quartzsite. A couple who lives near the lad in question said that the land is privately owned, but not monitored well, and that sometimes the Sheriff with come by and make people leave.

Paul

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

I see one lone RV on Google Maps in this area but moving back to 2014 there are at least a dozen so it's an active boondock area for sure. Whether or not it's a "legal" boondock area is the question. But it's proximity to - and visibility from - Interestate 8 makes it unlikely that it's not a legal place. Too easy for someone to just go tell 'em to get out.

Looks like a decent spot, too.

Just saw Paul's post and that might be why not many in the most recent Google Earth picture.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

No, we just noticed it when traveling by. We will not try staying there until I learn exactly what the land is...if it's private land, we will not stay there. Although we usually stay along Ogilby Road, we're currently at Pilot Knob LTVA because of dental appointments in Algodones.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I drove out there this afternoon. There were three rigs parked between County 15E and Foothills Blvd. As luck would have it, no one was at any rig to ask if they knew. There is absolutely no signage from the underpass that takes you over to N. Frontage Rd. just past the Moose Lodge. Drove east to more or less a dead end on S. Frontage Rd. beside the Border Patrol check point going up Telegraph Pass. I'll keep checking and Saturday when we go to the meat draw at the Moose maybe someone will be there.

We drove by the area in question and saw at least 50 rigs. I was surprised to see so many. The freeway is relatively close to the area but I suppose one gets used to any noise. There was still plenty of room for more rigs. Nice thing is that it is only a short distance to many restaurants, all kinds of shopping and gas stations. The station at Fry's has diesel at about $2.33 or so. Good luck, Dennis.

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

I drove out there this afternoon. There were three rigs parked between County 15E and Foothills Blvd.

We drove by the area in question and saw at least 50 rigs.

I don't know how many rigs were there when we passed by, but it was probably more than the 3 that bobsallyh saw since I probably would not have noticed the area had there been that few rigs parked...maybe the owner and/or the sheriff had recently chased people off when bobsallyh drove by! ^_^

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Linda I saw a Winnibego Aspect ( grey and white ) with 2 bikes on the rear in the east Walmart parking lot today....was that you?

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Drove by there yesterday afternoon again. About 12 rigs stretched out about a half mile long. There was one person sitting outside so I asked him if he knew who owned the area. Said he has been coming there for years and nobody bothers them. I do know that the Yuma County Sheriffs travel that road all the time. Then in this mornings edition (Sunday) of the Yuma Sun is a letter to the editor about RVs parked there. The letter stated "along the road" well that isn't really correct. http://www.yumasun.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/

This morning (Wednesday) there is another letter to the editor in the Yuma Sun on this location.

Being in total agreement with the letter writer who expressed concern about the RVs on the south side of South Frontage Road between Avenue 15E and the underpass, I know where some of the trash goes: I was following behind a very large motor home towing a Chrysler HHR a couple of weeks ago after the pulled out from the lot in question. He/she then proceeded to pull into the two dumpsters parked just east of the Foothills Library (those that are being designated for the road sweepers and which have two signs reading NO DUMPING) and dumped a very large trash bag. I don’t know what the solution is, but I do know that something needs to be done about this free parking situation -- and the obvious non-legal dumping.

Archived