Sales tax question.

rjenkins

So, if I buy my rig in one State, license it in that State, and later want to domicile in FL, TX or SD, do I have to pay sales tax on the rig all over again? I'm thinking, if I do, that might be a good reason to domicile in WY, where I bought the rig. Just thinking out loud here.

RJ

No ...you normally pay sales tax only once. Every state of the many I have experirenced does not charge sales tax on a vehicle that has been registered in another state. Some do charge you the difference if they have a higher tax rate than the state you paid the tax in. Most states do have some kind of "new resident" fee they charge when moving a vehicle to a new state. In TX, the new resident fee on any vehicle is $90.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

For Florida no tax, it must be registered in another state for more then 6 months.

Florida new resident one time fee is $125 plus plate fees.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

in SD and several other states I've moved to, as long as you have the paper work showing you paid sales tax on this vehicle to a previous state (of at least the same or higher %) then there is no additional sales tax collected, just the registration & title fees. So if you paid 6% sales tax in WY or some other state, when you transfer to SD you don't have to pay their 3% tax. But of course there is no refund of the difference 6% vs 3%, just a credit up to the 3% collected by SD.

Jim

I don't want to let you set yourself up about the response times. It all depends on who happens to be accessing the forum at any given time. Using myself as expample there are certain times of the year I may not access the forum even once a week. Just thought I would put this out there for future reference.

Archived