New Tires- Steer or All Position

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

I need to start doing some research on the HDT tires and one question I have is what's the difference in "steers" and "all position" tires.

I've read that many of ya'll run steers on all axles, and many over the road truckers run all position on all axles.

Either better than the other?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

A "steer" tire is essentially an all-position tire, since their tread design allows them to be run in any position. Tires with more aggressive tread designs that are designated as "drive" tires can't be run as a steer tire because of their inherently odd handling characteristics.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

These are the first web pages (page one and page two) I could find that had photographic examples of all three (drive, all position and steer) in one place.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Steers--tread pretty much straight grooves around the tire, designed for low rolling resistance and tight steering response. Used on hard pavement & trailers.

Drives--bunch of different treads, but mainly designed to "drive" the vehicle forward. Tread aggression depends on typical use, from almost steer to "mud hog".

All position---Steers modified to provide a bit of "drive" in non-hard pavement conditions. Usually used for trucks that stay on the road most of the time.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

What the Phils said.

Basic Position Definitions

Basic Application Definitions

Basic Tread Patterns (Rib, Lug, Rib-Lug, Block)

For RV use an All-Position Regional tire is a good place to start. This tire balances the scrubbing stresses from campground surfaces and maneuvering with good highway use (rolling resistance).

Using an all-position tire also provides the opportunity for regular tire rotation.

BUT tire type selection does depend on your own specific uses, lifestyle and values.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

TreyandSusan;

Very good!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Archived