Bed dimensions?

QLStar

I have started on the bed for the 670. I have a couple of bed measurement questions.

1. I need to know what your clearance is between the bumper and the ground in ride height.

2. What deck width is most common.

I am using 4" channel for the stringers and 3" channel for the cross members that will support the bed deck. When the air bags are dumped there is 2" of clearance between the deck and the tires. The overall bed will be approximately 9'6".

Looking forward to your input.

Quentin

2007 Volvo VNL 670, Cummins ISX 450. Auto, APU. "PoTater"

2013 Landmark San Antonio, 41'

idahopotater@gmail.com

Our bumper is at about 15" of clearance at the rear and we have a long overhang. There are a couple of vertical steel tubes that hang lower underneath but we have not dragged yet. The shorter your overhang the lower you can go without issue. The longer your overhang from the rear axle, the higher you should try to go.

For that reason, we mounted our regular hitch in the bumper instead of below it, to gain as much possible clearance as we could.

Our deck width on the bed is at 102" wide at its widest part, although the factory step rails on the truck are actually wider.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived