Power for my new to me motorcycle lift ramp

lappir

I have yet to decide where I will mount my powered lift ramp. It's used but appears in good shape. Was not installed when purchased so Have not actually seen it work yet. (Need to do it this or next weekend).

MY first thought was to just run it off the truck batteries, then I thought about all the heavy gauge wire that would be needed to run from the drivers door to just in front of the rear axle. Wouldn't it be better if a battery dedicated for only the truck box could be used. I have an interior light in the box but it only works when the headlights are on. I never need it when the headlights are on.

It's a Warn Winch that is used to pull the motorcycle up the ramp. I am not sure of the exact weight rating right now but am sure it's not over 4000# Maybe not even 2000#. Have never owned a winch except a PTO powered on my old Tow Truck. I could pull a lot of stuff with that.

If I get a couple golf cart batteries tie them together for 12 volt, test out the lift, decide where it will go, mount the batteries as close to the winch as possible (but under the floor of the box) Think about placement of an inverter in the area also, wire in a few led lights in the truck box and decide if I want to charge the batteries with a small solar panel or off the Shore power of the truck. Have I missed any thing?

Rod

Wondered why wench looked odd but the spell checker didn't correct to winch. Thanks Sushidog

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

A lot of us have winches on our fourwheelers that run off the battery that are no bigger than your Wing. How about buying a power Pack that will give you all the juice you need plus a light and air compressor ?

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

I'd like to carry along a wench to load my bikes (and other misc. tasks) but she would take up a lot of space, eat too much and my DW would probably object. I don't think it's legal to own one since the middle ages though. B)

Seriously though, I'm planning in adding a small ATV winch to raise and lower a folding ramp I made with the intent of using it as a rear door to my truck topper. I plan on mounting it to the front top of the camper top, above the window by the cab of my long bed F-250, and running the cable to the rear. I will be running a pair of heavy gauge wires to it from under the hood to one of the diesel starting batteries. In my case, only about 12ft of wire is needed, which would be cheaper and lighter than adding an additional battery which would require charging. Besides if your supplemental battery ever went dead, it would be difficult to get into the back of your truck without disassembling things.

Chip

Thanks for the replies. Have thought of a power pack before but do not need the compressor(not big enough) and not sure about a light on one would do what I want. I already have a small battery minder charger hooked up to the truck batteries. I have a pancake compressor and the compressor on the truck. Not concerned much about the weight on the truck either. Good thoughts though and things I didn't think about.

Thank you

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Rod, there are just so many possibilities here and different ways to accomplish this and to give the best answer I would need to know the actual max current the Winch pulls and what other loads you may want to power and what all you intend to do. That being said I will just have to lay out some general engineering thoughts:

1) NOT knowing the motorcycle weight and ramp angle and length of pull I can only take a somewhat educated guess, but Id "guess" a 2000 pound pull Winch will work (pull a cycle up a ramp) and even if you have a bigger unit it will not pull near the max rated amps.

2) Again NOT knowing the weight and ramp angle I venture a pure "guess" in the range of 50 to 150 max amps is all that's required. I cant say the exact amps NOT having all the specs and data nor can anyone else!!!!!! so dot get excited if the actual current draw is different then my guess in the dark, its ONLY a guess not having all the data and specs

3) If so, even if you ran a fuse protected say No 2 or No 4 Copper wire from the truck battery back it would more then likely suffice and you can use the trucks frame as the ground return to save having to run an extra ground wire PROVIDED adequate high current cables and connections are used.

4) WHAT IM SAYING IS I don't necessarily see the need for an auxiliary battery maybe 20 to 30 feet away from your truck battery.

HOWEVER before anyone has a calf SURE a battery right at the Winch would be engineering speaking better as you would reduce voltage drop and the Winch would perform better etc etc etc BUT practicality and cost and preferences all matter so its your call NOT ours. NOTE given the actual winch and cycle weight and ramp angle and current draw I could compute things such as voltage drop etc. and make a better call as to the necessity of an auxiliary battery.

5) BUTTTTTTTTTTT if you choose to use an auxiliary battery (fine its your choice) I would utilize a charging circuit so its being charged via your trucks alternator as you drive down the road. In addition, if you want to use a solar panel and solar charge controller to charge the auxiliary battery when youre sitting parked FINE that's your choice and we could help more on that if needed.

6) If you want to use an Inverter, we have to know the size and loads etc to help size the batteries and cables, but keep the cable run form batteries to inverter as short as possible AND USE BIG CABLES (again current draw and loads determines that)

7) If you choose to use an auxiliary battery, I RECOMMEND A TRUE DEEP CYCLE such as Trojan or other brand Golf Cart Type Battery/Batteries (like two sixes in series to get 12 volts) not a semi or quasi so called RV/Marine.

Not knowing the actual loads and distances and weights no use speculating on and on and again the above is ONLY a pure educated "guess" so IN SUMMARY you could "get by" with ONLY the truck battery but a battery right at the load could reduce voltage drops and require lighter cables etc HOWEVER then you have to get and keep that battery charged and if you want an Inverter then we could advise more. It may be overkill for extra batteries just for an occasional winch use but its your money and your choice and sure would be better in some ways.

Nuff said

John T Long retired Electrical Engineer and rusty as an old nail lol so no warranty

I'd like to carry along a wench to load my bikes (and other misc. tasks) but she would take up a lot of space, eat too much and my DW would probably object. I don't think it's legal to own one since the middle ages though. B)

Seriously though, I'm planning in adding a small ATV winch to raise and lower a folding ramp I made with the intent of using it as a rear door to my truck topper. I plan on mounting it to the front top of the camper top, above the window by the cab of my long bed F-250, and running the cable to the rear. I will be running a pair of heavy gauge wires to it from under the hood to one of the diesel starting batteries. In my case, only about 12ft of wire is needed, which would be cheaper and lighter than adding an additional battery which would require charging. Besides if your supplemental battery ever went dead, it would be difficult to get into the back of your truck without disassembling things.

Chip

Chip do you have any idea how much iron it's going to take off the bed of your truck in order to make that wench stand still above the window of your topper ?

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Chip do you have any idea how much iron it's going to take off the bed of your truck in order to make that wench stand still above the window of your topper ?

I'm planning on mounting a pipe on ball bearings, horizontally across the back of the topper (similar to a garage door opening mechanism). The winch will use a single, overhead horizontal cable which will spool around to the center of the pipe. I will have 2 more cables, one attaching to each side of the ramp wrapping around the pipe, on each end which will lift the ramp at a more vertical angle, minimizing the stress on the cable and getting rid of the center cable which would just be in the way, necessitating its removal for bike loading. I have been riding my bikes in and out of the truck bed and will continue this practice (though with about a foot longer ramp than I am currently using to reduce the slope a tad for safety sake, especially when backing them down the ramp - the scariest part.)

Chip

Archived