Class of 2017

Tumbleweed

When and where is your estate sale?

Our sale is in Freehold, the weekend of February 19th.

As my wife and I contemplate all of the stuff in our house, with some things being very valuable, some being valuable only to us, and some just worthless, the prospect of sorting and selling piece-by-piece is overwhelming.

This is the big issue most of us face. I'm going to skip the paperwork issue, except to say your shredder and scanner are your friends. The only exception was the original genealogy documentation I found at my parents. Those items were scanned, loaded into ancestry and will be stored in acid free folders. I'm also going to skip clothing, except to say we concluded that donation was better than selling, it's just too much work to consider any other option.

On the bigger front is the stuff. We committed to no more than a single 10x10 storage unit. What we are saving are totally family heirlooms and will not be sufficient to set up an entire house if we decide to go back to a S&B. We did try the selling item by item thing and concluded that while it may net more, we hated every minute of it and we would never finish at the rate we were going.

I found that the best way for us was to open a box filled with random stuff (or cabinet or closet, whatever applies). Take every item out and toss the obvious trash first. If the thing we were sorting out was larger than a standard box, I only took out what I could deal with in the time I had available. Until this last week, we kept the work sessions very short. It's exhausting making so many decisions. Often we would do fifteen minutes on and thirty off, for example.

We sorted things into several piles, keep, sell, donate and recycle. Donate and recycle were obvious, we tried to get rid of those piles within the week to get them out of the way. We had previously set aside areas for sell and keep and we generally sorted things into categories in those areas, kitchen, toys, books, albums, photography, antique clocks and so on. The sorting into sell categories was mostly for our sanity. The keep sorting was more important. We found that when we had collected all of the childhood toys in one location, for instance, it made it easy to decide which really mattered to us and which only seemed important when not compared to other things. It's astonishing how little is now in the keep pile and how clearly we can articulate why it mattered enough to us to keep.

Anyway, if you're nearby we might want to stop by just to see how you've done it! And if you have a good experience we may want to use your agent.

You are more than welcome to stop by. We won't be here for the actual sale days, but we'd be happy to meet up for coffee or chat by phone sometime to discuss how things went. Our agent and others we spoke to recommended that we find somewhere else to be during the sale. After consideration, we agree. I really have no desire to see our things selling. I just don't need to know that my mother's cherished demitasse cups sold for a quarter, for example, even if I have no interest in them.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the one facet of our Graduation I have not researched as well as I should have :(

How does the estate sale process work and what sort of commission do they charge for their services?

I've known an individual, who does estate sales, for years. I hired him at a 25% commission fee. I cleared out what I wanted for the RV, sold a few items on EBay where I knew I could get more money and my guns to individuals. I then left everything else to him. He organised all items, pre-sale viewings, advertising, and sale. For the leftover items, I could either keep, donate, or give to him. He also cleared away EVERYTHING after the sale...even trash. It was worth every penny.

Rex

Rex & Karen

Libre y pobre en La Casa Rodante

Well the countdown has begun in earnest, I'm inside 12 months now!!

The build is going along just fine with the LQ's for the most part completed although I have to go back in and make a few modifications. Next up will be to complete the garage and solar installation.

I'm all ahead flank! :D

Overbuilt from the Ground Up

05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

Well the countdown has begun in earnest, I'm inside 12 months now!!

The build is going along just fine with the LQ's for the most part completed although I have to go back in and make a few modifications. Next up will be to complete the garage and solar installation.

I'm all ahead flank! :D

Impressive build.

Rex & Karen

We did it.

Today we told the world our plans to retire in the summer of 2017, when I will also be celebrating 35 years as a pastor. Three church services, a few tears, lots of hugs, and an amazingly busy agenda for the next year-and-a-half, but we feel liberated to have finally been able to share our plans with so many people that we love.

Let the downsizing begin!

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

This week in the aftermath of the snowstorm, we flew out and did our factory tour and ordered the RV. We're under a year to full retirement and wanted the last six or so months to be spent in the RV locally so we can get to know it really well before we head out on the road fulltime. We're exhausted, but very happy.

That snowstorm really helped convince us that getting out of the Northeast is the right way to go!

This week in the aftermath of the snowstorm, we flew out and did our factory tour and ordered the RV. We're under a year to full retirement and wanted the last six or so months to be spent in the RV locally so we can get to know it really well before we head out on the road fulltime. We're exhausted, but very happy.

That snowstorm really helped convince us that getting out of the Northeast is the right way to go!

What did you order?

Rex & Karen

• 4 weeks later...

What a week it's been!

We survived the estate sale! Our agent was amazing. She had an eye for things that were valuable that I never would have and did a great job in managing the sale and cleanup afterward. We received more than we expected from the sale and were surprised by what sold and what didn't. Far more of the small stuff sold than I expected and less of the furniture. We have enough furniture left to show the house nicely without it appearing cluttered, which is what we wanted. The oddest moment was when I left the house a half hour before the start of the sale to find 15 cars in front of my house, several pulling up and someone waiting for my parking space! It was worth every penny. We have about a day's worth of work left to inventory the small stuff for tax purposes. She intended to do it since it's part of the services for her fee, but I have a preference for how to handle that and declined her assistance. We have one piece of furniture I want to donate now and a plan for the rest using both my resources and her recommendations.

Extra fun was that the contractor for the bathroom remodel called the day before the sale setup began to tell us that they had all the permits and to say that if we wanted they could begin the next day. So we had them coming and going all through the sale setup. That's moving along quickly. In five working days, they have wrecked everything out, did the plumbing and electrical work, hung the wallboard and installed the shower tile. This job has been the most concerning item on our timeline, so We are encouraged by the progress.

We also hired our realtor last week. Because bathroom remodel and estate sale weren't enough. One more thing off the list.

And DH's boss told him last week that we can relocate to Austin, TX for him to finish the final months of his career! This was unexpected and welcome news. Assuming the house is sold, we will likely remain here until Christmas and be Texas residents by the first week of January, 2017.

A friend of mine says "Life comes at you fast!" And boy do I agree right now.

Hi, My husband and I are planning to be full-timers this time next year. We are both seasoned campers but never owned a hard side tt. We bought a pop-up when we were first married before we had the vehicle to tow it. Added a port-a-potty, porta-crib and enjoyed many years of camping with a growing family. Then as the kids grew it became more difficult to get away and time seemed to fly by.

Due to health issues (husband has to have knee replacement surgery in a couple weeks) we must wait until next year at this time to put our house on the market. We will use this time to go through all we have collected over the past 45 yrs., buy a truck and tt.

We went to the trailer show a couple weeks ago and I fell in love with the 35' Wildwood Heritage Glen 282rk. I would love to get it now, but we don't want to have to store it for the winter and our hoa will not allow us to keep it in our driveway. I know, the nerve, right? Anyway. We are looking forward to the next step in our lives. And I am gleening so much from everyone here. Kathryn

Kathryn

2011 Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser 35p

2016 Ford Focus

Hi KLC & Welcome to the Class!

Completely off topic to Full timing: Best wishes for your husbands knee replacement surgery. I had my knee replaced in 2011, And it was probably the best decision I ever made! The key to recovery is physical therapy, physical therapy, physical therapy! Walking every day, going to see a physical therapist who's experienced in the lymphatic massage (to ease the swelling), and hydrotherapy to speed the healing process. Unfortunately this is not something you will find in the United States. I was extremely fortunate in that I had my knee replaced while we were over in Europe with US Army. The German surgeons were outstanding and the rehabilitation was something that I don't think you'll be able to find here in the United States. So to mitigate that, try to follow the suggestions I have listed above.

We wish you the best success and our thoughts are with you as your husband goes through this procedure.

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

Thank you Bob and Ann-Marie. He is looking forward to having this done and over with. Last year was ankle fusion on the other leg. If we didn't need the insurance we would be on the road now. Kathryn

Kathryn

2016 Ford Focus

Glad all went well. You're right, this year will go by REALLY fast.

What a week it's been!

We survived the estate sale! Our agent was amazing. She had an eye for things that were valuable that I never would have and did a great job in managing the sale and cleanup afterward. We received more than we expected from the sale and were surprised by what sold and what didn't. Far more of the small stuff sold than I expected and less of the furniture. We have enough furniture left to show the house nicely without it appearing cluttered, which is what we wanted. The oddest moment was when I left the house a half hour before the start of the sale to find 15 cars in front of my house, several pulling up and someone waiting for my parking space! It was worth every penny. We have about a day's worth of work left to inventory the small stuff for tax purposes. She intended to do it since it's part of the services for her fee, but I have a preference for how to handle that and declined her assistance. We have one piece of furniture I want to donate now and a plan for the rest using both my resources and her recommendations.

Extra fun was that the contractor for the bathroom remodel called the day before the sale setup began to tell us that they had all the permits and to say that if we wanted they could begin the next day. So we had them coming and going all through the sale setup. That's moving along quickly. In five working days, they have wrecked everything out, did the plumbing and electrical work, hung the wallboard and installed the shower tile. This job has been the most concerning item on our timeline, so We are encouraged by the progress.

We also hired our realtor last week. Because bathroom remodel and estate sale weren't enough. One more thing off the list.

And DH's boss told him last week that we can relocate to Austin, TX for him to finish the final months of his career! This was unexpected and welcome news. Assuming the house is sold, we will likely remain here until Christmas and be Texas residents by the first week of January, 2017.

A friend of mine says "Life comes at you fast!" And boy do I agree right now.

Rex & Karen

Quite an upgrade from a pop-up to a 35 foot TT. Have lots of fun dreaming.

Hi, My husband and I are planning to be full-timers this time next year. We are both seasoned campers but never owned a hard side tt. We bought a pop-up when we were first married before we had the vehicle to tow it. Added a port-a-potty, porta-crib and enjoyed many years of camping with a growing family. Then as the kids grew it became more difficult to get away and time seemed to fly by.

Due to health issues (husband has to have knee replacement surgery in a couple weeks) we must wait until next year at this time to put our house on the market. We will use this time to go through all we have collected over the past 45 yrs., buy a truck and tt.

We went to the trailer show a couple weeks ago and I fell in love with the 35' Wildwood Heritage Glen 282rk. I would love to get it now, but we don't want to have to store it for the winter and our hoa will not allow us to keep it in our driveway. I know, the nerve, right? Anyway. We are looking forward to the next step in our lives. And I am gleening so much from everyone here. Kathryn

Rex & Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! We are down to 1 year and 3 months! And making slow progress! I have sold a few more larger items. Tomorrow I hope to sell my grandmother's weaving loom. I really just want to find it a good home. That will be hard to sell because I know it meant a lot to her but I have a newer loom which I will keep and I really don't use my grandmother's anymore. So, some things are harder to part with than others.

We are flying to Chicago in two weeks and driving to Bristol, Indiana to the Augusta RV factory. They are no longer going to sell through dealers, only through the company. And, if we buy from them eventually, they will reimburse our airfare! Really well made RV's! We are excited to go take a look. Earlier we had narrowed our search down to two RV's and those two aren't even in the running anymore! Now we are deciding between August RV and Vanleigh RV. They both make smaller 5th wheels and they make them for full time, 4 season use. Augusta doesn't have the smaller one on their website yet, they are just beginning to make their first smaller one (34 feet).

And we are searching for a truck... Hope to put the house on the market this summer....

How is everyone doing? We need updates!! This is starting to get real!

Kathie (and Tom)

Kathie and Tom

Ambition 33QS (Honalee)

Augusta RV

Hi, Kathie!

Oh, there are some things that are so hard to sell. Just this evening I sold my dad's lathe. He wanted one for years and loved every minute he had it. But I cannot keep it. And so it's gone. It made me feel better to see how excited the guy that bought it was to get it. His excitement was as great as my dad's and it made it easier to see it go.

The factory tour is so exciting! Hope you have a wonderful time!

We're still racing towards the "put the house on the market date." Cross your fingers for us, we're targeting April 1st.

Well, it is becoming very real. We switched from wanting a tt to a motor home. We are in the process of buying a 2011 winnebago itasca suncruiser 35p. We will spend this summer getting used to her and preparing for next spring when the house goes on the market and we become ft er's. Kathryn

Kathryn

2016 Ford Focus

Hello everyone! We are down to 1 year and 3 months! And making slow progress! I have sold a few more larger items. Tomorrow I hope to sell my grandmother's weaving loom. I really just want to find it a good home. That will be hard to sell because I know it meant a lot to her but I have a newer loom which I will keep and I really don't use my grandmother's anymore. So, some things are harder to part with than others.

We are flying to Chicago in two weeks and driving to Bristol, Indiana to the Augusta RV factory. They are no longer going to sell through dealers, only through the company. And, if we buy from them eventually, they will reimburse our airfare! Really well made RV's! We are excited to go take a look. Earlier we had narrowed our search down to two RV's and those two aren't even in the running anymore! Now we are deciding between August RV and Vanleigh RV. They both make smaller 5th wheels and they make them for full time, 4 season use. Augusta doesn't have the smaller one on their website yet, they are just beginning to make their first smaller one (34 feet).

And we are searching for a truck... Hope to put the house on the market this summer....

How is everyone doing? We need updates!! This is starting to get real!

Kathie (and Tom)

Kathie,

The Augusta is a beautiful rig, but check out their dry and wet weights before committing. When we looked at one last year you could only load about 1,000 pounds before you reached the gross weight. Plus, it's so heavy it really needs something bigger than a 350. A few manufacturers are pushing the capacity of the 350.

Rex & Karen

Hi NJTroy: I sold my dad's lathe about 3 months ago! My grandmother's loom just walked out the door too! To a very good home!! It does help when treasured items go to good homes! Good luck on the April 1st goal of having your house on the market!

Big Tex Rex: Thanks! We are keeping an eye on the weight. Augusta hasn't made a 34 ft 5th wheel so we don't know the weight yet. We may have to go to a 1 ton and are prepared to do that if we need to.

Kathie

Kathie and Tom

Ambition 33QS (Honalee)

Augusta RV

Hello,

We are progressing slowly here: sold 2 of the 4 (long story) cars, have to fix one of the remaining ones to sell it, then we will stay with a single car until our visa is ready and and we can travel to the US.

We have decided to keep our real estate in the rental market, except for our home, which is basically unrentable (too large), so we're planning on getting it into the market soon (even with the market here in a downturn).

Glad to read about you folks making progress too!

Cheers,

--

Vall & Mo.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from Virginia all! I plan on retiring 31 Mar 17, and the house is on the market now so we could be full-timing before that! We're not new to RVing but still have lots to learn as full-timers. We're looking forward to the experience and taking our time touring America at a nice slow pace!

Archived