Class of 2017

Tumbleweed

Finally hit the 12 month countdown mark on October 1st...only 11 1/2 months to go until lift-off, at the most. It may be sooner, but not likely. Will be heading for southern Utah for my first winter, to find work for 9 months and backpack as much of the Zion/Arches/Canyonlands/Bryce area as I can. It's getting real and it's getting exciting!

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally hit the 12 month countdown mark on October 1st...only 11 1/2 months to go until lift-off, at the most. It may be sooner, but not likely. Will be heading for southern Utah for my first winter, to find work for 9 months and backpack as much of the Zion/Arches/Canyonlands/Bryce area as I can. It's getting real and it's getting exciting!

Congratulations! It's getting closer for everyone!!

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

Everyone is gearing up for their departures! Yes, it is getting very real!
We are complete newbies! We just returned from Bristol Indiana last Saturday, with our new 5th wheel. We bought an Ambition 33QS made by Augusta RV. After a brief driving lesson, we hit the road for Kansas. It was scary!! However, as long as we go forward only, we are okay! We take corner very wide as we were taught. We made it back (800 miles) in one piece. Tomorrow we lined up a friend of a friend to teach us how to back up! (He won't take money or beer so I'm making him cookies!)

It (we named it "Honalee after the land where Puff the magic dragon lived!) is in our driveway (against covenant rules but oh well!) and we love it! I wish we could hit the open road now! I've been moving things in and getting her ready. Now, we just have to get the house ready to put on the market.... Our new retirement date is May 31, 2017!!

Kathie and Tom

Ambition 33QS (Honalee)

Augusta RV

Everyone is gearing up for their departures! Yes, it is getting very real!

We are complete newbies! We just returned from Bristol Indiana last Saturday, with our new 5th wheel. We bought an Ambition 33QS made by Augusta RV. After a brief driving lesson, we hit the road for Kansas. It was scary!! However, as long as we go forward only, we are okay! We take corner very wide as we were taught. We made it back (800 miles) in one piece. Tomorrow we lined up a friend of a friend to teach us how to back up! (He won't take money or beer so I'm making him cookies!)

It (we named it "Honalee after the land where Puff the magic dragon lived!) is in our driveway (against covenant rules but oh well!) and we love it! I wish we could hit the open road now! I've been moving things in and getting her ready. Now, we just have to get the house ready to put on the market.... Our new retirement date is May 31, 2017!!

Congratulations on the new Rig! Love the name BTW...makes ours (The Bear Cave; Home to a Old Bear and His Honey) seem pedestrian LOL.

Being former 5er drivers here is another tip: go to Harbor Freight or some salvage place and buy 4-6 orange traffic cones. Find a large parking lot (preferably with no end curbs or lane dividers) and set aside a couple of hours practicing every backing scenario you can think of.

Also practice backing your rig in a straight line for at least 100ft - preferably 500ft - this will come in handy some day...don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Practice backing your rig up and turning it around in very cramped circumstances - again, this will come in handy some day when your GPS misses that 10' overpass...don't ask me how I know :lol:

After you are comfortable with the above scenarios, throw the cones in your truck...if you ever have a breakdown, they make a great traffic warning device!

event.png

Congratulations on the new Rig! Love the name BTW...makes ours (The Bear Cave; Home to a Old Bear and His Honey) seem pedestrian LOL.

Being former 5er drivers here is another tip: go to Harbor Freight or some salvage place and buy 4-6 orange traffic cones. Find a large parking lot (preferably with no end curbs or lane dividers) and set aside a couple of hours practicing every backing scenario you can think of.

Also practice backing your rig in a straight line for at least 100ft - preferably 500ft - this will come in handy some day...don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Practice backing your rig up and turning it around in very cramped circumstances - again, this will come in handy some day when your GPS misses that 10' overpass...don't ask me how I know :lol:

After you are comfortable with the above scenarios, throw the cones in your truck...if you ever have a breakdown, they make a great traffic warning device!

Some great advice. Some of us have been driving trailers for so long we take it for granted and forget how hard it can be for people who haven't done it before. I learned to drive with a trailer attached to the truck...talk about a crash course!!! (no crashing though)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

My wife and I are hoping to be in this class of 2017 also. We have purchased our 2016 Grand Design Momentum 380TH and are practicing longer weekends and extended trips. We are also talking to lots of workcampers and volunteers to help figure out what we want to do. We haven't decided weather to sell the house or rent it. Time will tell all.

Some great advice. Some of us have been driving trailers for so long we take it for granted and forget how hard it can be for people who haven't done it before. I learned to drive with a trailer attached to the truck...talk about a crash course!!! (no crashing though)

I WILL admit - I am really happy to be a Motorhome Owner now backing is a no-brainer ;)

If you have a pull behind though you DO owe it to yourself to practice practice practice!

event.png

My wife and I are hoping to be in this class of 2017 also. We have purchased our 2016 Grand Design Momentum 380TH and are practicing longer weekends and extended trips. We are also talking to lots of workcampers and volunteers to help figure out what we want to do. We haven't decided weather to sell the house or rent it. Time will tell all.

Welcome to the class! Please keep us posted on how things are going for you!

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if I understand this correctly, then you are in the class of 2017 if that is the year you plan to start full-timing it? If not, someone please show me the light of day. If so, we will be in it too, May, 2017. Sold the house last year, already downsized once so the next one will be easier. Husband retires December, but have lease until end of April. We don't have truck or 5th wheel yet, but plan to order that in next couple months. So much to do, so little time!

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

Howdy Nomad Hikers,

Well, if I understand this correctly, then you are in the class of 2017 if that is the year you plan to start full-timing it? If not, someone please show me the light of day

You are absolutely correct. And welcome to our class!

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

Well, if I understand this correctly, then you are in the class of 2017 if that is the year you plan to start full-timing it? If not, someone please show me the light of day. If so, we will be in it too, May, 2017. Sold the house last year, already downsized once so the next one will be easier. Husband retires December, but have lease until end of April. We don't have truck or 5th wheel yet, but plan to order that in next couple months. So much to do, so little time!

You are spot on...well sorta. Some of us Class of 2017'ers took the early exit exam and graduated a bit early :)

However, since we do not retire until DEC 2017, we still have a few Class of 2017 make up classes to take :rolleyes:

event.png

I'm trying to decide weather to sell the stick house or rent it out.

Rent in Oregon is going sky high.

That would give us more equity in the house down the road, even if it was trashed a bit.

Is there a step by step plan for retiring?

Thanks, KEN

I'm trying to decide weather to sell the stick house or rent it out.

Rent in Oregon is going sky high.

That would give us more equity in the house down the road, even if it was trashed a bit.

Is there a step by step plan for retiring?

Thanks, KEN

Hi Ken,

There are pros and cons of renting/leasing the house out. I would discuss with your real estate agent. We did and decided to sell (not only can the house get trashed, when provided appliances break (or get broken) you are stuck with the repair bill. For us, it wasn't worth it, so our house is on the market.

There are several fulltime sites out there (in addition to this one!! ;) ) that can help you our with tips 'n tricks.

If you are looking more for a "How To" and all the things to consider from a personal standpoint, probably the best site out there is RVDreams [http://www.rv-dreams.com/]

What, specifically, are you looking for in a step by step plan (obviously the #1 thing to do is financial planning and management!) So, what are your particular questions?

event.png

So if Nomad Hiker is correct then we are also in the Class of 2017. Our plan was to move into the RV full time in early 2018, But!

Recently our daughter has been asking us when we were moving out of our house. Our daughter and grandkids all live with us and will be 'Renting' the house from us when we move out. So we are planning to move full time into the RV in June 2017, after our summer trip with the grandkids. Our retirement plan has us being full time travelers in Jan 2019.

event.png

So if Nomad Hiker is correct then we are also in the Class of 2017. Our plan was to move into the RV full time in early 2018, But!

Recently our daughter has been asking us when we were moving out of our house. Our daughter and grandkids all live with us and will be 'Renting' the house from us when we move out. So we are planning to move full time into the RV in June 2017, after our summer trip with the grandkids. Our retirement plan has us being full time travelers in Jan 2019.

So, welcome to the Class Jim-N-Ina! You are going to love the freedom fulltime gives you!

event.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have a count-down widget on my blog...it is really, sadly, exciting to see it deduct months down to take-off day. Does anyone else do this and feel the same way?

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

I have a count-down widget on my blog...it is really, sadly, exciting to see it deduct months down to take-off day. Does anyone else do this and feel the same way?

You might take a look at a few previous posters ... The widgets are all over this site .

Goes around , comes around .

You might take a look at a few previous posters ... The widgets are all over this site .

I meant the "get excited" over watching your widget tick down to launch day. Sorry, should have been a little more specific

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

2017 will be here before long!!!

I just had an interesting conversation with a local retailer in our small town, who I have known for many years. We have discussed our upcoming plans (retiring, getting rid of everything, selling the house, traveling full time) on several occasions. She is always negative but today, she was a bit more direct. Today she very smugly said, "Well, it will be interesting to see what things you crave. You'll start missing those things. And how long you will be able to live in such a small space?" Well, I am thankful that everyone isn't going to do what we are doing.... or the roads, National Parks and campsites would be way more crowded!! But, I wonder,... do you think more people really DO want to do this and just don't have the nerve, but wish they did!?? Thoughts?

Kathie and Tom

Ambition 33QS (Honalee)

Augusta RV

I just had an interesting conversation with a local retailer in our small town, who I have known for many years. We have discussed our upcoming plans (retiring, getting rid of everything, selling the house, traveling full time) on several occasions. She is always negative but today, she was a bit more direct. Today she very smugly said, "Well, it will be interesting to see what things you crave. You'll start missing those things. And how long you will be able to live in such a small space?" Well, I am thankful that everyone isn't going to do what we are doing.... or the roads, National Parks and campsites would be way more crowded!! But, I wonder,... do you think more people really DO want to do this and just don't have the nerve, but wish they did!?? Thoughts?

I think there are quite a few people who are exactly as you suggest. Most people I talk to are jealous about my plans but won't or can't do anything about changing their circumstances. For people my age, without the retirement income, they don't want to give up the security of a good job and a home. I think they would love to travel more, but they have other priorities. Heading into the unknown makes a lot of people uncomfortable, whereas I thrive on new things and new challenges.

I think it's amusing when people we don't know well presume to judge us "Well, it will be interesting to see what things you crave. You'll start missing those things. And how long you will be able to live in such a small space?" I think that most of us that choose this lifestyle are more about experiences and memories then trinkets and junk. I could be wrong, but that seems to be the overriding theme

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

*Snicker* ...see below

13 Months, 2 weeks and 5 hours...not like we are counting or anything like that :lol:

event.png

• "Well, it will be interesting to see what things you crave. You'll start missing those things

Not sure WHAT she means here - we are over the moon happy with our Motorhome...oh, wait, we CRAVE that the real estate market would firm up and that our house would sell...is that what she meant? ; ;)

• And how long you will be able to live in such a small space?

Granted, 5 months is not a long time, but we have not killed each other yet! :P

In our sticks and bricks we would: Get home from work, fix dinner, Anne-Marie would go to her woman cave and I to my Man Cave and meet up at bedtime

In our motorhome we: Get home from work, cook or grill together, take a walk together, play a game together, watch TV together, TALK, enjoy our company, then go to bed together.

To your friend: this picture is wrong...how? :rolleyes:

• But, I wonder,... do you think more people really DO want to do this and just don't have the nerve, but wish they did!??

We are told this ALL the time! "I wish we had your guts" "I wish I was brave enough to do what you did" "We sure do envy you guys" -- and of course the occasional "Are you guys NUTS!?" :rolleyes:

It's a lifestyle that is not for everyone (of which I am glad - you are right, the parks WOULD be overcrowded LOL!)

event.png

"Well, it will be interesting to see what things you crave. You'll start missing those things. And how long you will be able to live in such a small space?" Well, I am thankful that everyone isn't going to do what we are doing.... or the roads, National Parks and campsites would be way more crowded!! But, I wonder,... do you think more people really DO want to do this and just don't have the nerve, but wish they did!?? Thoughts?

I particularly like the smug attitude you describe. As though it's not possible that anyone might want to live in a different place or with a different lifestyle.

Three months in I have to say, we are far happier living in our 40' RV than we were in our 2400 sq ft house.

We are currently about 35 miles from where we used to live in an area which is unfamiliar to us and will be here until year's end. We're "testing" the lifestyle while my DH finishes out his career. While we still are doing some things back in our old community, most of our free time is spent exploring the new area and so far we are having a blast. I know there will be things we will miss, but the new things are a great joy.

And in a year, three years, twenty years if we decide we hate it? At least we will have taken the chance when we could. You get so few opportunities in life to reinvent yourself. If you don't take them when they come, they are gone in an instant. There is nothing preventing us from going back to a S&B in our hometown. It's not going to disappear from the map. But if we don't try this, we won't ever know if there is someplace else we'd much rather live. Or if we'd just rather continue to travel. It's all about the possibilities........

I particularly like the smug attitude you describe. As though it's not possible that anyone might want to live in a different place or with a different lifestyle.

Three months in I have to say, we are far happier living in our 40' RV than we were in our 2400 sq ft house.

We are currently about 35 miles from where we used to live in an area which is unfamiliar to us and will be here until year's end. We're "testing" the lifestyle while my DH finishes out his career. While we still are doing some things back in our old community, most of our free time is spent exploring the new area and so far we are having a blast. I know there will be things we will miss, but the new things are a great joy.

And in a year, three years, twenty years if we decide we hate it? At least we will have taken the chance when we could. You get so few opportunities in life to reinvent yourself. If you don't take them when they come, they are gone in an instant. There is nothing preventing us from going back to a S&B in our hometown. It's not going to disappear from the map. But if we don't try this, we won't ever know if there is someplace else we'd much rather live. Or if we'd just rather continue to travel. It's all about the possibilities........

Good On You NJTroy!

We are in a similar boat - we do not retire until next year so we are working out of the Coach as well. Like you we are definitely happier in the coach than we were in our way-too-big S&B and can't wait to be able to become real nomads when we can retire and be able to go where our dreams and the 4 winds take us!

event.png

Archived