first buy of a RV and we need advice/help

jackicks

Dear all,

I need your advice in buying a used RV.

My wife and I have decided to buy a used 36' Pace arrow by fleetwood with 2 slides. This rig is 14 years old and looks great according to the pics and the description. Only 50 000 miles USD 25 000,-

Here is the description of that RV : This 2002 Pace Arrow By Fleetwood has a V-10 Ford Engine On a Ford Chassis, Features include....2 Slide-outs, Onan Gas Generator, 2 Ducted Roof A/Cs, Four Door Refrigerator, Main & Slide Awnings, 1 Piece Washer/Dryer, Backup Camera, CD Radio, TV, DVD Player, Outside Shower and 2 Burner Range. Also includes a Blue Ox Tow Bar.

We are French people accustomed to rent RVs the last 14 years.

We intend to join Escapees to benefit on the services offered by Escapees, then register the RV either in South Dakota or Texas, or Florida and spend 4 months (2 x 2) per year touring the States.

I would appreciate your advices regarding this motorhome.

We also intend to have an in-depth inspection by a certified NRVIA inspector (actually from RV Inspection connection company).

It would be our first RV and tbh we are hesitating....

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards

J

Ah, another newbie to welcome. While we are happy to help you we find it is best on this forum to only post your question under one topic. You could use the edit function to delete this question then simply type "duplicate" in the space to keep all your responses in one place. That would help you and us.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

If you check the listing on the NADA site you will find that the price is reasonable, if the RV is as stated. That could be a major "if." Inspection is a must so you are on track there. I do wonder at an RV with such low mileage but it could be a plus. Be sure that you also look at the date codes on all of the tires as replacing them will be pretty expensive and there is a good chance that the tires are old since the mileage is so low. A new set of tires will cost somewhere between $400 & $600 each and there are six of them. RV tires need to be replaced at somewhere around 7 years of age and less if there is any doubt about their condition. A blown tire can do serious damage to the RV. There is also a good probability that many of the rubber items will need to be replaced, such as the belts, hoses, break lines and such. I would also be sure to have all fluids (oil, transmission, brake, coolant) replaced as well.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If it has a good inspection report - go for it. Our motorhome is currently 16 years old and still in very good condition. Many think it is only a couple years old. All systems have held up well and we have had to do only minor repairs in the 5 years we have owned it. Other than putting new tires on when we purchased it , we have spent maybe $1,000 for oil changes, a couple of circuit boards, new vent covers, eternabond as a precaution on all roof seams, new furnace motor and awning springs - new starter for the engine, and maintenence services for the generator. DH however can and does all the repairs himself which cuts way down on the cost of repairs.

Pat DeJong

Thank you for your answer and advices.

I'll contact the dealer today and will check with him what you mentioned.

I'm waiting for more details from the dealer before asking for an in depth inspection by a third party.

Have a great day and thank you again.

J

My MH is 16yrs old. Diesel. 75k miles. has some quirks, but love it. i have put 6 new tires on it along with brand new basement a/c unit. as units get older more things to look for. brakes, ball joints, how good was it kept up.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Archived