No, You Don’t Need to Uninstall VLC

RV_

There has been some wild eyed speculation about a vulnerability in VLC media player. Well not only is it not an issue for any average users, but just yesterday when I put this sort aside to see what develops, I opened VLC and it already had a security update ready to install, which I did in about ten seconds.

Excerpt:

"The sky is falling; uninstall VLC right now!” That’s the advice some websites are providing. But the purported VLC flaw is overblown—and, according to VLC’s developers, may not even be a real risk.

This commotion all started with the publication of CVE-2019-13615, which is marked as a “critical” vulnerability with a score of 9.8 out of 10. VLC’s developers aren’t happy they weren’t even contacted before the publishing of this flaw.

At the end of the day, it’s probably a good idea to stay away from downloaded MKV files until VLC patches this flaw. But that’s all you would really need to do, and even that’s being kind of paranoid."

As I said above, the patch is out in the last 48 hours so relax, VLC is still a good media player to have. Do patch it though.

The whole article with links is here: https://www.howtogeek.com/434487/no-you-dont-need-to-uninstall-vlc/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Yep it's stable. Much ado about nothing in this case. But VLC DID make a patch so do allow it,

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

As I understand the situation, the problem was never in VLC, rather an older library that was updated to patch the vulnerability years ago.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio