How to remove sag from front corner of slider topper??

Tucsontech

Looking for ideas......

We have a 13' slider topper that when extended sags maybe 2 inches and flaps in the wind when slider is out. Carefree topper is less than 2 years old. Carefree said to tighten the tension on that corner spring to pick up the slack. When I brought it up to my service tech who replaced the canvas recently he states that he had attempted the spring adjustments but believes that the actual slideout is no longer centered to it's original location........Slider seems to work well.

I was also told that there is a spacer plate available to put under the existing mount on the face of the slider which would remove slack but Carefree wasn't aware of that part.

Some folks use beach balls.  Can inflate as needed and locate as needed as well.  Part of the reason slide toppers are a choice, they help with debris but make noise in winds.  Some people are affected during sleep with the noise.

Marcel

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

.  Some people are affected during sleep with the noise.

That's just because they haven't relaxed hard enough . ;)

I have to wonder if the problem isn't a crooked sewing job on the material if the sag is just on one side / corner .

I have to resew our 14 foot slide awning/topper . When I redid the stitching last , I 'curved' the upper most seam a bit . That left the center of the material to sag some . :( 

Goes around , comes around .

4 hours ago, Tucsontech said:

Thanks everybody for the creative ideas concerning how to live with the problem,

But I am looking for ideas and opinions on how to REPAIR the problem.

That will require restitching or take a chance on a new awning/topper .

I have thought about adding elastic cord to the outside hems , but that might still leave some sag , so I passed on the idea .

Goes around , comes around .

Is this sag a development over time or always present?

As the slide extends is the sag consistent or does it develop unevenly?

1. I'd slide the fabric on the sidewall track away from the sag & run the slide in & out and readjust as needed to square it up then re-anchor it in its track.
  2. If that fails then measure the distance from the roller to the wall on both ends. They should be equal with the slide in as well as out.
  3. If there is a discrepancy between ends and it is consistent with the slide in & out then shim the bracket on the sag end to get the roller parallel to the sidewall.
  4. If the degree of parallelism changes with the slide in & out the slide deployment mechanics need to be looked at first.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

When installed, the installer should have placed a screw through the awning material "C" rail at one end of the material, to prevent it from moving in the rail when traveling or flapping in the wind. Check the material alignment with the brackets on the slide-out vs "C" rail.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 1/8/2019 at 10:53 AM, Tucsontech said:

Thanks everybody for the creative ideas concerning how to live with the problem,

But I am looking for ideas and opinions on how to REPAIR the problem.

Keep in mind that many things will affect the issue.  Just consider how the fabric will be affected by Tucson temps both in summer and in winter, then add to that other extents of temps.  Then you can add the wind speed and direction that can affect the behavior of the fabric.  That is why CREATIVE IDEAS have been discovered.  One size does not fit all as one solution may not fit all conditions.

Marcel

Archived