Cost of Events

whj469

I just received another email from Escapees inviting me to attend an event/rally in Utah with a cost of over $1,000 per couple. I am not quite sure what you get for that? It seems ridiculous to me. I have never even thought of going to any of those events/rallys except the annual Rally. I have never been to one of those. They are not where I would want to go, they are mostly without 50 AMP or even sewer hookups and they also have very high cost. I do know that the cost of the events includes 5 nights of RV parking with less then quality services.

The events/rallys that we attend are low cost with registration fees of $25 to $45. They don't included RV parking but they are in top of the line RV parks and most are near 10-10-10 ratings. Last rally was in Kerrville, TX at Buckhorn Lake Resort and cost was $250 for seven nights of RVing which we pay directly to resort. The group negotiates discount rates but the RVers pay the resort directly. An RV maker sponsors a great meal and we do a lot of pot lucks and most of the Rvers help with meals. We have had very good entertainment, including Johnny Rodriguez, with an great meal. Because of complaints regarding that cost, $50, it is go if you want and don't if you don't. The drawback is that we only get 75 sites. Which are first come etc. We have always been completely full for the six years that it has been going. The RV maker sends a rep and they told us that we do to much but we don't agree. Most of the activities are come if you are interested like, dog show, cast iron cooking, wine tour of three wineries which you pay $10 each for the bus to take you and bring you back.

I have been a member of Escapees for almost nine years and I wonder if anyone else feels this way?

3 hours ago, whj469 said:

I just received another email from Escapees inviting me to attend an event/rally in Utah with a cost of over $1,000 per couple. I am not quite sure what you get for that? ... I do know that the cost of the events includes 5 nights of RV parking with less then quality services.

The email for the Moab HOP outlines exactly what you get for the price.  I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that the RV park has "less then [sic] quality services" since the information doesn't say *which* RV park they'll be staying at.  However, it DOES say participants will have full hookups (whether or not that includes 50-amp, I don't know as it doesn't say).

It's certainly not our cup of tea, although some of the events sound interesting (river rafting, dinosaur museum).  We're not off-roaders, so that portion of the HOP wouldn't interest us at all.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We don't attend any rally/events because big get-together's don't interest us. 

However I am a firm believer in supply and demand. If SKP's can get enough people to pay that fee and attend their Moab event, then more power to them. They are, after all, a for-profit business.

I did note that it includes several touristy activities like an all-day rafting trip, entry to the Dinosaur tracks museum, and a cruise up the river with live entertainment and a farewell dinner. With five nights of full hook-ups at a "nice RV park" they may not be out of line price-wise. 

But FWIW, I agree that $1000 seems like a lot of money for what is presented in that e-mail solicitation. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

9 hours ago, whj469 said:

I have never even thought of going to any of those events/rallys except the annual Rally. I have never been to one of those.

3 hours ago, whj469 said:

When I spoke of the less then impressive services I was talking about the National Escapades that are sometimes held in places like fairgrounds.

I am very interested in your comments, since you think that you know what they offer but have never attended one. Where would you suggest the Escapade be held, since they range in size from 600 to 900 RVs, depending on where and what time of year they are held? It is true that most of the time the full hookup sites sell out, but they get as many as possible in any location where they are held and you pay less for fewer site amenities, just like in an RV park. Last year at Sedalia, MO there were about 2000 full hookup sites available so everyone who wished could have full hookups. Next year in Tucson it will probably be more like 400 or 500 full hookups so you can get them if you sign up early. I have attended quite a number of Escapades and have been volunteer staff for the last 5, as well as 2019. Escapade will include 5 nights with full hookups for about $400 for two people. With most of the work done by unpaid volunteers, I think it is a bargain. 

I have never taken part in any of the HOP's but know plenty of folks who attend them frequently so they must enjoy them. Obviously, there are some people who see things differently than you. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hi there! Chiming in from National staff-
I appreciate your feedback about the Head-Out Program pricing structure. Others have already pointed out that the price includes more than just the camping costs, so I won't go into that in detail. 

Understandably, HOPs aren't everyone's cup of tea. Those who enjoy them tend to sign up because they look forward to not having to plan their own vacation. With each HOP, paid National staff take the time to coordinate with service providers for catered meals, bus tours, excursions, etc so that attendees don't have to worry over the details. They simply wake up, get dressed, and meet the host to head out for the next adventure. I can assure you that our HOPs Director spends copious amounts of time researching providers and negotiating to get the best deals possible to keep costs as low as possible.

We are working to bring more low-cost HOPs to SKPs in the next year as we expand and grow the program. Maybe one of those will appeal to you down the road. If not, we understand! Not everyone prefers to have things planned for them :)

Communications Director

signature logo a.jpg

13 hours ago, whj469 said:

Kirk: I have never said that I knew what you got at Escapees Annual Rallys. All I said was that the HOP's were expensive. If you have to pay more then $50 per night for the site and then a large registration fee, too me that is expensive. 

I agree with you on the cost of the HOP's. But as Georgiana said, they do it all for you and I know more than one person who loves them. I'm much too stingy to go with them, although I have looked at it. As to Escapades, I didn't go either at first and was an Escapee for nearly 10 years before we went to our first one. Like most of those who attend, once we did so we began planning to go to another. We were not every year attendees until we dropped back to part-time but I really do think that if you would attend one Escapade, even if it is at a fairground, you would probably want to go to more, just like most attendees. 

As large as the Escapees club is, there are many members who have not attended either event and club management knows that. With more than 15,000 memberships the Escapade would have to be much larger to accommodate even half of those who are members at one time. Most of us who attend every year are soon involved in some way with putting them on. That gets to be part of the fun for many of us and it is very easy to become involved.

Come to Pima County Fairgrounds at Tucson next March and I'd love to show you around!

We have never attended any of the Hop's but I do enjoy the many and varied Rally's sponsored by the different Forum's. My first Escapade was in Az a few years ago, No Sewer but water and 30 amp's and quite Frankly, we had a Ball! Met lots of like minded RV'ers, attended numerous seminars and learned a lot. To me, camping and then RV'ing has been about socialization which I know is not everyone's cup of tea(rather be out by themselves)...Not us and Pima County is a Great facility.   Enjoy!!!

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's

11 hours ago, whj469 said:

I would live to go to Tucson in March. If I can I will look you up and thank you.

I am the security team leader for the event so I'll probably be at the gate when you arrive, or you can drop by the Escapade office and ask for me there as they know how to reach me at any time. We will be there before you arrive and we stay until everyone is gone so do reach out. Meeting folks is one of the main benefits of my job. 

Archived